weight belts or integrated weights?

For most of my diving:

• All my weights are on my weight belt.

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • Some of my weights are on my belt, some in integrated pockets.

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • All my weights are in integrated pockets.

Votes: 110 47.8%
  • Other (e.g. I use a weight harness, or my weight is (on) my back plate).

Votes: 45 19.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of your options works for me. I wear a weight belt, and also trim weights in camband weight pouches.
DRAT ! My first poll and I missed an option? I guess I'd call that "other".

I greatly prefer integrated weights. I think the weight belt is less comfortable, also I have a slight discomfort about the fact that all my weights have a single failure point (the buckle). Integrated just seems easier too - one less thing to don/doff.

Well, it really depends:
- warm water, AL80, 3mm, basic BCD: a couple of pound on a belt is no pb.
- cold water, AL80, 7mm or more wetsuit, large bulky BCD, >20pounds, then having all this on a belt would risk it to be ankle weights, especially a depth. So integrated weight on these BCDs are really useful to me.
- cold water, HP tank and BP/W: i used several trim pockets ditchable and not, but all on the harness or the tank.
- cold water, dry suit. Would certainly be different config again, don't know, havent done it yet.

what i dont like with the belt and the wetsuit is it gets loose at depth. With a harness, the fact it is not that easy to ditch in 2 steps when it hangs on your crotch strap, and then you have to slide it.

Both. I like to put a couple of weights into the integrated BC and enough weights on the belt so that dropping the belt will be effective in an emergency. This way, neither my BC or belt are loaded with weights and it distributes them quite evenly.

I keep all my weight on my weight belt. That is mostly because I dive a BP and didn't want to fork out the money for a DUI Harness. Hmmm...maybe they will have another one of their factory clearances this summer and I can pick one up there.

For me, it came down to what kind of rig I was diving. I think for cold water So Cal diving a weight integrated BCD feels bulky with all of the lead you have to use. It is much easier for me to slap on a weight belt and my BP than it ever was to don a WI BCD. Now if I was in the tropics and only needed 4 lbs of lead, a weight integrated BCD seems like a much more viable option.

I agree with walter,

Plus if you are wearing a full wetsuit, and for some unknown reason you have to drop that tank, what happens next?

I myself personally would rather keep the weight on my belt, then I am not putting all my apples in one barrel.

Well, I am old school :D so I still use a belt.

Me too

I dive a 95 ( 94.6 ) steel and I still use weights.

In the viking, I not only use more weight, but I also use ankle weights

Back
Top Bottom