weight belt pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anybody use one of thoese weight belts that the weights go in pockets? If so would you recomend? Any particular brands?

I'm finding it a pain to adjust my weight belt for different tanks, and when I go between a wetsuit and a drysuit.

There was a thread a few months ago from many of us that us the pockets from XS Scuba.

Most of my belt configurations range between 10 and 20 pounds. I keep a 5 pound weight on each side. Behind that I have a 5 pound pocket on each side. By adjusting the contents of the pockets I can go from 10 - 20 pounds in a flash without re lacing my belt, it's a beautiful thing!

Pete

I use the XS Scuba weight belt with the velcro-flapped pockets. Up until recently, I've been very happy with it. But on a dive last weekend, I lost a five pound soft weight out of one of the pockets, with the flap still Velcroed shut. It made for a very interesting ascent -- Thank goodness for kelp :) I am seriously thinking about switching over entirely to hard weights, although they're impossible to buy here.

I ended up purchasing 4 of them and like everybody said in that post from last month, the quality was good and appear they will hold up for sometime to come.

I purchased mine from Dive Sports. XS Scuba Dive Equipment - XSScuba Dive Accessories - XS Scuba Diving

Free shipping and handling when you purchase 2 or more. For what it's worth I ordered mine on a Monday afternoon and they were at my house Wednesday, Came from AL went to NC.

Mark

But on a dive last weekend, I lost a five pound soft weight out of one of the pockets, with the flap still Velcroed shut.
you sure that wasn't just AG or Peter playing with ya?

I use the XS Scuba weight belt with the velcro-flapped pockets. Up until recently, I've been very happy with it. But on a dive last weekend, I lost a five pound soft weight out of one of the pockets, with the flap still Velcroed shut. It made for a very interesting ascent -- Thank goodness for kelp :) I am seriously thinking about switching over entirely to hard weights, although they're impossible to buy here.
I lost a three lb. soft weight pouch the same way (recovered by an alert dive buddy actually) out of the XS Scuba Weight Pockets. The two gaps at the bottom of the weight pocket for draining water are fairly large. Even still, IMO they are the best thing going for the money if you are careful packing the weights. I'm thinking of having mine modified a bit to decrease that gap -- maybe at a shoe repair shop or someplace with a machine that can sew leather, that kind of thing.

BTW, I looked at the same solution as you -- hard weights -- and was surprised that they are so hard to find locally. One store told me with the advent of weight integrated BCs he hasn't stocked hard weights in well over five years. :11: From what I've found, you can buy hard weights online but the shipping costs as much as the weights...

John

I use the el Cheapo brand with the zippered pockets and lighter material with one side the mesh that drains well. I tried a Scubapro pocket belt because I thought the individual velcroed pockets would work well. But they came undone and weights fell out. Plus the material was unnecessarily heavy and bulky. It will probably go back to ebay soon. The XS Scuba belt looks good. My wife uses their individual weight pockets on her tank without problem. But I doubt if they are worth twice the $$ of the no-name zippered pockes belt.

I have been using the XS Scuba pockets on a rubber weight belt with the Trident wire buckle (http://www.tridentdive.com/Export304.htm). I have been thinking about switching to hard weights so it will be easier to use belt keeper things to keep the weights in place so I don't have to readjust after I pick the belt up and the weights all slide around. This may be seen as an advantage as with the XS Scuba pockets you can slide them around during the dive to adjust where the weights are on you. I have a pretty good idea of where I want mine, so now I just want to lock them in.

Well, AG wasn't there, and of the divers who WERE there, I think KMD's probably the only one who might be able to sneak up and remove a weight pouch without me knowing it, and he was having too much fun scootering!

Back
Top Bottom