weighing difficulties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scooby37

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone

im a novice diver. I currently dive in the uk with about 15kg i have an ikelite video housing and video camera which weighs about 5kg and is negatively bouyant. Should i deduct 5kg frommy weight belt to balance the extra weight im carrying or jus dive with the 15kg and 5 k
g cam . Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all

Good question, in the weighting equation, do not include items that are not part of your essential equipment. In a "situation", that you no longer require these accessories underwater but they were included in your weighting, you will be positively buoyant and unable to control your accent. The weighting equation should include; you, exposure suit, regs, BCD, tank/s and lead. I hope that's useful.

I believe you are saying that the camera weighs 5kg on land, and is somewhat negative underwater, but I strongly doubt it's 5 kg negative in the water. If it is, you should put some floats on it, because holding something that heavy out in front of you to film is going to make it impossible to be stable in the water.

In general, it's not a good idea to count any accessories like cameras into one's weighting, because should you drop it, you could end up unable to maintain a stop at the end of the dive. That's one of the reasons that people with big camera rigs generally have floats on them, so that they don't have to run a lot of air in their BCs to counteract the weight of the camera.

Thanks guys that has been a big help. yes you are right it is 5kg out the water but in water it is fine and not 5kg negative, and is ok holding out in front of me. cheers for your help!

Back
Top Bottom