Weezle Extreme+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jep, I have no idea how I would access my wrist seals (which are inside my dry gloves) or my neck seal (which is inside my hood neck portion) fast enough to prevent a runaway ascent if the dry suit wouldn't vent. I've had my Weezle induced issues. In my case, they were probably a product of the amount of air-trapping required by the Weezle and my inexperience, but they weren't fun. I wouldn't recommend a Weezle for a novice diver.

TSandM:
Jep, I have no idea how I would access my wrist seals (which are inside my dry gloves) or my neck seal (which is inside my hood neck portion) fast enough to prevent a runaway ascent if the dry suit wouldn't vent. I've had my Weezle induced issues. In my case, they were probably a product of the amount of air-trapping required by the Weezle and my inexperience, but they weren't fun. I wouldn't recommend a Weezle for a novice diver.

You're never "sealed" if you have a standard Latex next seal. Maybe a roll-down neo is different, but I know that my neck will burp before I go all Bullwinkle Macy's Day Parade and rocked town Broadway.

I've forgotten to open my dump valve - and if I'm being negligent with my venting, it will burp out. No biggie.

Unless you have some kind of super seal, or have that neck seal just choking down on you, the gas will escape before you go ICBM.

---
Ken

Well, Ken, mine won't. I have a latex seal, but it's a really good one, and I can get irretrievably headed for the surface before it will burp. In fact, I don't think it ever has. But then, the amount of air required to get me headed for the surface isn't very much. And in the days when this happened, I had no other effective strategies for combatting the problem. Nowadays, I'd recognize it earlier, fin down, pick up a rock, or whatever was necessary. I don't think I'd do the ballistic thing any more. But that's why I specified I wouldn't recommend the undergarment for novices. It has its challenges, and at least when I tried it, I was too inexperienced to manage them.

TSandM:
Well, Ken, mine won't. I have a latex seal, but it's a really good one, and I can get irretrievably headed for the surface before it will burp. In fact, I don't think it ever has. But then, the amount of air required to get me headed for the surface isn't very much. And in the days when this happened, I had no other effective strategies for combatting the problem. Nowadays, I'd recognize it earlier, fin down, pick up a rock, or whatever was necessary. I don't think I'd do the ballistic thing any more. But that's why I specified I wouldn't recommend the undergarment for novices. It has its challenges, and at least when I tried it, I was too inexperienced to manage them.

Maybe because I'm a little bigger than you, the air that would have the same effect (floaty moving bubble) has a higher volume on me, and therefore puts more pressure on my neck seal.

But I've burped the neck a zillion times when it gets chilly, and I'm trying to keep some extra gas in the suit. My experience has been when the gas wants out, it gets out.

---
Ken

jepuskar:
I don't see how your drysuit exhaust not venting will lead to a runaway ascent if you are ascending properly. If you ascend and your not venting then dont go up anymore. In the case Soggy mentioned it appears this diver was not paying attention to his lack of exhaust for whatever reason. A runaway ascent means the diver did something wrong.

Quite frankly, that's a load of BS. The diver in question tried to get to his neck seal, wrist seals, anything. He almost pulled his zipper, but was already pretty much at the surface by the time he thought to try it. The dive was in the middle of the winter off of Gloucester, MA and the water temperature was somewhere around 34 degrees while wearing drygloves and a thick hood. You are speaking to an issue you have no experience with and about a situation where you were not present. You may not "see it," but the simple fact is that it has happened to more than one diver and Weezle even developed some piece of gear to combat this problem.

All I would recommend about the Weezle is to burn a few holes in the arm where the vent is or to place a patch or some other stiff material there.

I borrowed a buddy's Weezle for a few dives. I found that I had to add more air to keep warm when compared to thinsulate. I also didn't like the way the suit trapped air. Just when I thought I had dumped all the air, another air pocket would roll up on me. I never had that experience in my thinsulate. My thinsulate is DUI's 400g undies. Just my opinion.

My weezle is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Besides being easier to maneuver in, it keeps me warmer than any DUI undergarment. I find it easier to detect when i need to vent upon ascent. Also, no squeeze issues. I dropped weight when i changed from the DUI undergarment to the weezle...6 pounds

ppo2....do you often use your buddy's weezle? :wink: lol

jepuskar:
Soggy is just anti-weezle because he got chilled in his in 50 degree water. The issue he speaks of has been addressed by Weezle. As I stated before the type of drysuit exhaust I have on my TLS makes it virtually impossible for any part of the weezle to interfer with its exhausting of air.

I don't see how your drysuit exhaust not venting will lead to a runaway ascent if you are ascending properly. If you ascend and your not venting then dont go up anymore. In the case Soggy mentioned it appears this diver was not paying attention to his lack of exhaust for whatever reason. A runaway ascent means the diver did something wrong.

To clarify....if you have an exhaust issue and your valve is indeed all the way open and your still not venting then you can exhaust air through your wrist or neck seal. You will get wet, but it is better than a runaway ascent.

I know of one person who "got hit" when her underwear blocked the OP valve on her drysuit and she did a Polaris. I think she was also using her suit or BC as a lift bag. That in itself was not too smart.

I know another person who "went ballistic" due to a DS inflator malfunction. Rather than disconnect it and call the dive he kept burping the suit. Then he spent too much tie futzing with the bag of scallops then suit had too much air and away he went; from a depth of 80feet. One of his fins wound up around his ankle and his mask was knocked askew but he held onto the scallops.

With heavy gloves/mitts on my hands and a hood, I could not easily gain access to any seal to vent the suit.

Soggy, just admit you are a weezle hater...its ok to hate a piece of equipment or be biased against it. The product weezle makes has nothing to do with the issue you speak of:

Straight from their site:
"Recent reports have shown a number of modern undersuit materials restrict the migration of air, especially when wet. This can have dangerous consequences. Although this problem has been eliminated from the Weezle undersuits, the Expel has been designed to solve this problem occurring in other suits"

Your dive buddy or whoever that was is obviously at fault..you said he tried to get to his wrist seal or neck seal....this tells me he couldn't. Who's fault is that? Not the undergarment, it is the divers's fault. Just because you can't vent air does not mean you automatically rocket to the surface. He obviously got ahead of himself and didn't realize there was a problem until it was too late. I didn't need to observe this firsthand, you have described everything I need to know. The diver ascended, suit wasn't dumping, he couldn't break his wrist or neck seal, he rocketed to the surface. What if the exhaust valve was too blame...the same result would happen. This is what happened isn't it?

Duane, my experience has just the opposite of yours. The DUI 400G was like a piece of cardboard, very stiff...and not very warm. The Weezle Extreme+ is very loose fitting, very flexible...there are no tight spots anywhere..I have full range of motion. I don't understand what all the talk is of needing more loft with this undergarment...I add less air with this garment then with the DUI and I'm warmer..much warmer. For me the Weezle dumps air much quicker as well.

It doesnt really matter...im happy, you're happy...that's what matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom