weekend of diving from Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmmm....... The good news is that May would be a great month to be on the White Manta. The "bad" news is that I'm not sure it's what you are looking for. Next year we will only be sailing the weekend trips out of Singapore in August, September & November.

In April & May, we'll be sailing from Kota Kinabalu to Layang Layang. There are budget flights from Singapore to KK and the diving in Layang2 is truly incredible (schools of hammerheads, too many sharks to count, mantas, stunning walls, fanastic viz and a little bit of marco too) but most of the trips are full already.

In June & July, we'll be sailing to Sipadan (1 trip) and then Sangalaki / Kakaban / Maratua (mantas, threshers, a jellyfish lake).

Hopefully the family can join us on one of these trips.

If you are really keen for a weekend liveaboard trip out of Singapore during May, the other boats that regularly do those trips are the MV DiveRace (our old 27m wooden hull boat), the Ark (a slightly smaller version of the Diverace run by Friendly Waters Seasports) and the MV Seaborne (our much older, much smaller boat). They are not really as nice as the White Manta but I'd still prefer them to the overland trips to Tioman or Aur with the midnight Friday crossings as well as the immigration jams and other hassles.

Zippsy, thanks a billion for all that info....Alan had mentioned that he thought White Manta wouldnt be doing it in May but he was unsure. Layang sounds wonderful...altho I dont like the sound of the sharks!.....our daughters both dive but I don't..so that has to be taken into consideration..either I stay in Singapore for the weekend on my own or I go with them..If I went to Layang2 can I swim off the boat or is it forbidden ? Reason I ask is I that I know on a trip to the Brothers in The Red Sea, you cant swim....so that would be important to know.. will have a look anyhow...thanks again !

The trips tp Layang2 are week-long trips and there are limited chances of swimming, other than inside the LL atoll in the evenings. And the sharks are definitely what people go to LL to see.

On the weekend trips that we and other boats do out of Singapore to Tioman, Aur & Anambas, there are more chances to do some snorkeling but it would be a toss up to me whether it is better to stay in Singapore or go for the weekend. I definitely would not like to be a non-diver on a week-long LL trip though. Great sunsets and good food are about all you would have to look forward to!

Great to know that..thanks a lot...I had looked at some of the trips and even tho I did a week long one in the Red Sea, I was able to swim every day and snorkel at reefs to my hearts content....so LL doesn't sound ideal to me really..will have to all sit down as a family and see what we can do..perhaps as its their first time in Singapore our daughters may not be 100% on diving...their Dad is one of those people who wants to do it all the time!....hope weather is good there...its cold damp and grey in Dublin..totally depressing

Zippsy,

Trying to work out our trip in May...we have 3 diving levels, one daughter is at scuba diver, other daughter is open water and Alan is at advanced level. The Black Manta site says the diving level for Komodo is intermediate to advanced level. Can our daughters do open water or advanced courses while on the trip ? Thanks. Linda

Hi Linda, Sorry, I just got back to internet-land in the wee hours this morning. It is certainly possible to do the open water and AOW courses on the Komodo trip. I spoke this evening to Cedric, our cruise director on the Black Manta, and he said he'd be happy to help them. Beware though that they will certainly be spoiled doing Komodo so early in their diving careers. Cedric would end up taking the daughters in a separate group from the others on the boat for the first few dives to do skills. There is a little logistics to it but they will fully enjoy the sites and experience. ~Michael

Zippsy, hope weather is good where you are ? Snowing here in England....due to work commitments for both the girls....we cant now do a week on a liveaboard....would love to have done it...but looks like just a few days in Singapore followed by a few days on a beach with some diving...looking at Tioman....at the moment....the liveaboard will be on the list for later in the year !...thanks

You'll enjoy tioman. It's a cool place and decent diving. I personally like to stay on Salang beach!

Zippsy, hope weather is good where you are ? Snowing here in England....due to work commitments for both the girls....we cant now do a week on a liveaboard....would love to have done it...but looks like just a few days in Singapore followed by a few days on a beach with some diving...looking at Tioman....at the moment....the liveaboard will be on the list for later in the year !...thanks
No worries. Hopefully you also got my private message about Tioman. It's a good option.

You'll enjoy tioman. It's a cool place and decent diving. I personally like to stay on Salang beach!
The last time I went to Tioman I flew from Seletar airport and stayed at the Berjaya, which was pretty close to the airport. If I recall correctly—it was a long time ago.

Does anybody know:

Can you still fly from Seletar?

Is Berjaya still the nicest place to stay? Anything comparable?

Recommended dive operators?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom