Weekend in NC, what boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our club, California Wreck Divers (www.cawreckdivers.org) is planning a trip with Olympus Dive Center in July of next year. We have a choice of day tripping and staying in their Lodge, or a 3 day liveaboard followed by 3 one dayers. Which would you recommend for a group of 10 coming from L.A.? Thanks.

Frank Farmer
Long Beach, CA
http://home.earthlink.net/~aadiver

To me it would depend on whether you'd be hitting any different wrecks with one option or the other. I'm guessing with the liveaboard you're doing 3-4 dives a day? Unless they're hitting some of the farthest wrecks they dive and you wouldn't get a chance to see them otherwise, I'd choose the day trips. This area is known to have "variable" (meaning sometimes rough) seas, and laying out there for three days in a rolling (but I suppose diveable?) sea doesn't sound all that great.

Besides, the Morehead City / Beaufort area has some great places to go after diving, i.e. good restaurants and boozing. What more could ya want!?
14.gif

Frank

I've done four days two tank diving from Beuford.
I was diving with Discovery Diving, small boat "Captain's Lady".
The boat is for 6 people.
Captain Lerroy.
Very good. Highly recommend.
Here is the web site http://www.discoverydiving.com/.
If visibility is not good or current is too strong he would take you to another site.
There are plenty of sites to dive, mosly wrecks.
Don't remember names but they all very good.
Lot's of sharks and other fish.
Have your dry back with warm close, it could be chilly in November.
Have fun.

Their Lodge is horrible.
It's not a hotel, it's more like military type of barracks.
I would strongly recommend to find something more suitable.
Can't say nothing about their operations, was using Discovery Diving and liked them a lot.

FARMHAND:
Our club, California Wreck Divers (www.cawreckdivers.org) is planning a trip with Olympus Dive Center in July of next year. We have a choice of day tripping and staying in their Lodge, or a 3 day liveaboard followed by 3 one dayers. Which would you recommend for a group of 10 coming from L.A.? Thanks.

Frank Farmer
Long Beach, CA
http://home.earthlink.net/~aadiver

Hi Frank Farmer,

Is Tom O. still in your group? I know he was when I was in the Whalers, but that sas several years ago, but I am guessing he is still active someplace..

I always Dive with Outer banks Diving in Hatteras Village. They have 2 boats one 47' and the other 37' most of their dives are wrecks that run from about 70' to 100'. I go in August and the water is 82* and 100' vis. The woman at the dive shop calls it (Jersey diving with a Carribean Twist) But you will find that they are very safe and very friendly people there (southern hospitality) www.outerbanksdiving.com
NJWD

Hey do you guys know any good dive shops to hire gear from, charters with in Wilmington, or even any good spots to shore dive from?

Back
Top Bottom