weekend in Charleston - yadda yadda...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vetdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, all -

The hubby and I will be in Charleston for a wedding in mid-April, and we will spend at least one day diving. We are OK in cold water, murky water, fresh/saltwater whatever - we'd just like to hear your recommendations on what's more interesting - river or ocean. Thanks for your input - Allison

vetdiver:
Hi, all -

The hubby and I will be in Charleston for a wedding in mid-April, and we will spend at least one day diving. We are OK in cold water, murky water, fresh/saltwater whatever - we'd just like to hear your recommendations on what's more interesting - river or ocean. Thanks for your input - Allison
Hi Vetdiver, I,m one on the boat captains on the cooper so I,m goning to be a bit prejudiced in favor of the river. However it really depends on what type diving you want. The ocean here offers spearfishing and wreck diving. The river offers a chance to find some nice artifacts and/or fossils. Advantage ocean.. better vis,maybe better temp....disadvantage....longer boat ride , higher chance of being blown out, and usually cost more. Disadvantage river less vis,cooler water ,and currents. Advantage ...river shorter boat rides, longer bottom time, opportunity to take something really unique home! You choose. If I can be of assistance please feel free to get in touch, I,d be more than happy to give you the names of charters for the ocean or other boat captains on the river. Yours truly Capt. Phill

How about diving the aquarium in Charleston, would that be an option. I'm planning a trip to Charleston as well.

A.

Ok, so scubadadee is a little biased. :wink:

April is a great time for the rivers, because the summer crowd hasn't picked through the winter wash yet and you have a little better chance coming home with some fantastic fossils. You're going to have to work hard for it in that current, though.

You will be a little warmer offshore and the vis will definately be better. It will be a more relaxing dive-day, if you don't mind the long ocean commute to the sites. Unless you're spearfishing (which is great around here, btw), don't count on any trophies.

Feel free to message me if you have any particular questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom