Weekend dive trips from Bangkok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bracko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi all,

I have accepted a transfer to Bangkok for a project currently under way in Bangkok (yay me :) ). given that opportunities do not come around often like this one, I would like to make the most of it and do weekends away diving. given that I can only have weekends off regularly, and I don't want to be dragged into the "expat lifestyle" of drinking heavily on the weekends and not doing interesting things, I would like to know if anyone can recommend weekend diving trips that are relitively inexpensive (or really good ones at higher prices).

I am obviously aware that I could only dive on Saturday's and relax on sunday, and as such I am keen to find places I can fly into on the friday night and be up bright and early for dives on saturday morning to make the most of it.

Phuket I think is the obvious option, where would be somewhere to stay AWAY from the main drag of nightclubs and drunk tourists that also has a good dive shop attached to it.

I've heard the diving isn't great in Pattaya, but is it worth seeing? I have dived in Komodo, Palau, Sipadan, Egypt + Truk (Chuuk) and am generally looking for diving at least close(ish) to that quality... if not amazing diving, I am a happy snapper and will find something to photograph.

aside from that, what are some other good weekend trips? I have a friend coming from Germany who would like to do some weekend trips with me. I am thinking Chang Mai, then Laos, Angkor to start off. I would like to see Yangon again as I visited it in 2006 and would like to see the difference.

hi all,

I have accepted a transfer to Bangkok for a project currently under way in Bangkok (yay me :) ). given that opportunities do not come around often like this one, I would like to make the most of it and do weekends away diving. given that I can only have weekends off regularly, and I don't want to be dragged into the "expat lifestyle" of drinking heavily on the weekends and not doing interesting things, I would like to know if anyone can recommend weekend diving trips that are relitively inexpensive (or really good ones at higher prices).

I am obviously aware that I could only dive on Saturday's and relax on sunday, and as such I am keen to find places I can fly into on the friday night and be up bright and early for dives on saturday morning to make the most of it.

Phuket I think is the obvious option, where would be somewhere to stay AWAY from the main drag of nightclubs and drunk tourists that also has a good dive shop attached to it.

I've heard the diving isn't great in Pattaya, but is it worth seeing? I have dived in Komodo, Palau, Sipadan, Egypt + Truk (Chuuk) and am generally looking for diving at least close(ish) to that quality... if not amazing diving, I am a happy snapper and will find something to photograph.

aside from that, what are some other good weekend trips? I have a friend coming from Germany who would like to do some weekend trips with me. I am thinking Chang Mai, then Laos, Angkor to start off. I would like to see Yangon again as I visited it in 2006 and would like to see the difference.

Pattaya diving at best can only be described as OK, and that's on a good day. You will get nothing that even resembles these places you mention. Pattaya = poor viz, limited marine life, lots of dead coral, dive sites full of jet ski's and other tourist boats, also poluted sea full of litter.
Little bit further and more effort to get there, but stick to South Thailand (West coast) With what you say you are looking for, Pattaya will only lead to disappointment. There are lots of other things to do around Thailand, including in Bangkok, any good tourist guide book will list more than enough to keep your weekends busy.

Yes, while the diving in Pattaya is really not good, it is conveniently close, giving you the option to dive both Saturdays and Sundays. And the wreck diving in that area is worth it IMO.

Otherwise, a flight to Krabi or Phuket seems to be your best option, with good diving possible from both locations. Phuket will give you more flexibility IMO, I am biased though), with also the Similans, Koh Bon, Koh tachai and Richelieu Rock on your doorstep, but to dive there after your flight to Phuket you'd have to stay in Khao Lak for the most convenience.

If you do decide to stay on Phuket, check out Kata Beach, nice beach, not overly busy and close to the departure point of the dive boats, or for example Nai Harn Beach, more and expat than a tourist beach and also not far from the boat departure point.

You could look into Koh Chang which would be easy to reach from Bangers. Also day trips from Khao Lak to Similans/Surin (you wouldnt have time for a liveaboard in a weekend). There's also Koh Tao in the gulf of Thailand - you could fly into Samui/Chumphon/Surathani and then get a night ferry connection over or a day ferry the next morning.

You could look into Koh Chang which would be easy to reach from Bangers. Also day trips from Khao Lak to Similans/Surin (you wouldnt have time for a liveaboard in a weekend). There's also Koh Tao in the gulf of Thailand - you could fly into Samui/Chumphon/Surathani and then get a night ferry connection over or a day ferry the next morning.

Yes Koh Chang, nice Island, and in my mind by far the best diving available in the Gulf of Thailand. However it will still not come close to the standard of diving available at the locations the OP uses as a comparison.
Also it is coming up to their rainy season and I would not recommend a dive trip to that area between May - September. Not sure what the situation is on the Island now, but not so long ago virtually all the dive shops closed during that period due to the frequent poor weather and rough sea conditions.
Also travelling to the Island from Bangkok, only realistic option is by road, around 5 hour trip , plus the ferry crossing the trip to where you are staying on the island could easily take 7 or 8 hours. Best to fly to South Thailand I feel and see the best Thailand has to offer in the Andaman Sea.

I don't expect that level of diving. Obviously they're among the best locations in the world. I am happy diving with low vis in a training site in sydney as well.

Can someone recommend a good diving resort in phuket? Ideally with dive operation attached? I have a lady friend from Germany coming out and would like somewhere nice and romantic for a weekend get away of diving and relaxation. Somewhere with a little atmosphere would be nice, or close to a party town so we can choose to go out.

I don't expect that level of diving. Obviously they're among the best locations in the world. I am happy diving with low vis in a training site in sydney as well.

Can someone recommend a good diving resort in phuket? Ideally with dive operation attached? I have a lady friend from Germany coming out and would like somewhere nice and romantic for a weekend get away of diving and relaxation. Somewhere with a little atmosphere would be nice, or close to a party town so we can choose to go out.

That isn't what you said in the fourth paragraph of your original post??

What I did say is closeish. I don't want to spend good money to see dead coral and no fish.

Unfortunately that represents the vast majority of Pattaya diving. Nobody go's there for dive specific holidays, it's just something people may do when they are there for other reasons. Really it does not even come close to any of the places you mention.
Some say it's worth going for the wrecks, but personally I wouldn't waste my time, they are only two quite small ex Thai Navy boats that were sunk in around 30m to form artificial reefs, one of them, the HTMS khram can be OK to dive in the unlikely event that you get to dive it on slack water. But this is simply down to pot luck as Pattaya DC's put no forward planning into their dives beyond the time of day the boat leaves.
The only advantage I could see is that it is possible to travel from Bangkok to dive in Pattaya and return the same day. But the additional effort to go and dive the Andaman sea in South Thailand would be more than rewarded by the far superior diving conditions you will find there.

Sure, Pattaya diving is not the best that Thailand has to offer but it's not as bad as some on Scubaboard would have you believe. If you are going to be based in Bangkok why not check out our dive club at Bangkok Scuba Diving Travel Club (Bangkok) - Meetup. It's open to all, free to join, has a great mix of people and runs regular dive trips both near and far (usually at a much discounted rate to what you would pay as a walk-in customer at most resort dive centers). We also have regular social get togethers just to meet other members and chat about all things diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom