Weekend Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We just did our first OW course with real students. Great experience. They will be shocked when we hit the N.S. ocean next weekend for their checkout dives. But it confirmed my opinion that there is way too much stuff to learn in 2 days. We spent 6 hours straight in the pool Sat. I'm so glad I took OW in 6 night sessions-- I would've been going nuts trying to remember all the skills all at once--not to mention the 5 straight hours of classroom they had before the pool. I guess I'm just slow. Any opinions?

I believe it was Confucius who said:

What I hear, I forget. What I see, I remember. What I do, I understand.

The more classes you attend the better you will become at it. Even more important is actually doing the exercises. You don't have to do them with the students. Find a certified diver who wants to practice. Do the demonstration skills with them. See if they have any criticisms. Practice with your fellow DM candidates. Even better, practice with an actual DM. A good DM will work with you because the practice will help them as much as it will help you.

Personally, I also like to envision teaching the material to someone else as I study it. Teaching is a great way of learning something.

Thanks,- I did OK myself demonstrating the skills, but what I really meant was it's a ton of material all at once for the OW students to absorb in 2 days as opposed to the 6 nights (with days in between) I had when taking OW myself. Would've seemed real hard to me to have my instructor doing skill after skill in a row and me trying to remember all of it (as well after 5 hours of classroom). Would you agree?

I would agree. Doing it all in two days (I'm assuming this does not include open water; i.e. class and pool) without providing opportunity to practice more after certification would be a lot for many students.

My shop likes to have the accelerated class as: Friday night is a class, Saturday morning is a class, Saturday afternoon is pool, Sunday morning is class and Sunday afternoon is pool. After that the open water portion is two full days at an outdoor training facility. In addition to this we let students use the pool after they are certified just for a place to practice. Even that seems a little rushed for some students.

The most important thing we do is have the students get the book well before the class and tell them to read ahead. The idea is that they should have read the section we are covering in class before the class.

For most students this is more than enough.

One of "tools" that I was able to employ as a student when I started my open water training back in 1982 was the technique of visualization. My PDIC instructors conducted 6 - 8 class and pool sessions in the Fall. I was invited to come to every open water class that was conducted after mine to keep my skills sharp for the open water dives that were conducted in the summer.

Classes began Tuesday evenings and ran 3 to 3.5 hours. The first thing we did upon arrival in class was to view a 20 - 30 minute video related to the skills we would be doing in the pool and the information related to the diving science we would be covering in class. Next, we would go over the homework from the previous class and hear the lecture from our instructor which lasted about an hour including Q & A.

Finally, we would go into the pool, have class for about an hour and get 20 minutes of practice time on our own to work on weaknesses with our buddies.

On the days in between classes, I ha a week to read my Jeppesen Open Water Manual and a week to visualize all the skills that we had up until that point. During the process of visualization, I spent a good many hours each week thinking about the videos I had seen, thinking about our classroom discussion, and thinking about what I learned in the pool. While I may have only had about an hour and a half in the actual water each week, I'd probably spend that much time, if not much more, daydreaming about scuba class while in high school classes, thinking about it on the school bus ride home and in all my free time. I could go back in my mind to mistakes I had made and craft the scenario over again substituting the correct procedures for tank valve breathing, buddy-breathing by sharing a stage, performing buddy breathing BCD-assisted ascents, removing and replacing my cylinder and scuba unit, and other such procedures that required a little more finesse than just sharing an additional second stage or achieving neutral buoyancy.

In addition, we were expected to return to class and do things independently with proficiency. For example, our first pool class was snorkeling and our second was the first night with scuba. We were taught to float our tanks on over our heads without touching the bottom as if we were dressing in deep water. We wopuld have to manually inflate our horsecollar BCD's, float our tanks on over our heads, clear our snorkels away from the shoulder straps as we did so, blast our snorkels clear of water and connect all of your hoses, regs, etc., in the water by touch. We weren't coddled and more could be expected of us because we had the time to think about class between classes. It was hard. There were times I would come home frustrated that a skill like buddy breathing from a single regulator with no mask while swimming didn't go well because our ascent was poor or someone swallowed water and broke into an emergency ascent to escape the mishap. But, we went back in and did iot the next week and did it better or did it well because we were thinking about it between practices.

Skill development is the result of muscle memory in the myelin created by practice honed by great coaching. This is all benefitted by time. When it is said that divers cannot perform to the level of the "old salts" it is simply because no one is giving them the time to become good in the pool and in open water, because no one believes in them ("Open water diver's are capable of ..." Or, "At the open water level, they don't need to know ...")

To this day, as a 41 year-old cave and tech instructor, I still draw from those first experiences when it comes time to choke on water, vomit, or be without gas. When those things happen now, it takes me right back to my teen years. Ah, memories!

The mind is a terrible tool to waste.

Just as we teach students, "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast," instructors, and more importantly training agencies, shops, resorts, and the RSTC, would do well to remember that the same applies to the learning process.

That was an excellent post Trace. Today students seem to want to slip diving in between the other things in there life. Shops still do the 6 week course but many students seem to want to get it done over one weekend. There is also a push to do the e-learning and doing the work online. My shop is really resistant to this. To us, diving is a social activity. The questions students ask and the general chitchat adds to the learning. Doing it alone, at home via a computer just seems wrong.

If you try and convince them that it is not a race and they'll do better if they just take their time, they go to the next dive shop. The approach now is to get students hooked. Some shops stop at that point. I glad that my shop will give them the weekend course but encourages them to come back after being certified to 'practice'.

We spent 6 hours straight in the pool Sat. I'm so glad I took OW in 6 night sessions-- I would've been going nuts trying to remember all the skills all at once--not to mention the 5 straight hours of classroom they had before the pool.
Am I understanding correctly that they had an 11 hour day? That is nuts.

I have done many of the weekend classes and yes there is alot going on in those 3 days.Our schedule is Friday night 7 to 11pm ( 1 session classroom and pool)--Saturday 9-5pm( 2 classroom sessions and 2 pool sessions) and Sunday 9 to 5 (2 classroom sessions and 2 pool) ...usually enough to get everything done IF students are prepared before class.By prepared I mean having watched video-read text and completed all knowledge reviews before class.Class is kept small -anywhere from 2 to 6 people.Pool is the next room from the classroom so no time is wasted getting to it.For those students who do not "get it" we offer for them to come in another time and work with them
I do not hold up the class for those that are slow to learn.That is a total of 20 hours of training.Almost 1/2 of that time is in the pool.Not much different time wise if this was a 6 week course.Comes out to the same total hrs.Only difference is that the student has to apply themselves and get their part done before coming to class..

I guess the other thing to factor into this discussion is how many students are in a class. I know the maximum numbers are much higher than my shop uses. I don't have my manuals here but I think PADI says 8 students to one instructor and you can toss on 4 more students if there is a DM.

We typically have 4 students with an instructor or 6 students with an instructor and a DM.

Years ago, the president of PDIC International, Frank Murphy, was mowing his lawn when his son, Mel, the training director at the time, walked out into the back yard. Frank shut off the lawnmower and said, "Son, don't think. Just answer. What's wrong with the diving industry?" Mel answered, "We used to be the pimps and the divers were the Johns. Today, the divers have become the pimps, and we are the Johns."

I remember when the option existed for divers to become trained in resort areas. Rather than the classes that took 10 - 12 weeks or longer, training was reduced to a week so that resorts could cater to the needs of the traveling divers. Then, the complaint was that the traveler would not be able to enjoy himself or herself and do any fun dives in that time period. So, to allow for this training was reduced even further.

PDIC's minimum course standards for open water training still lists 30 hours of instruction as the minimum which would be a minimum of 10 hours in the class, 10 hours in the pool and 10 hours of open water dives since the course is supposed to be equally divided and if an instructor follows the guidelines it would take that much. But, that's minimum. Most PDIC instructors I know run a class that exceeds 40 hours.

Last week when I was in Bermuda, the dive shop wouldn't rent tanks to me and my girlfriend (another PDIC instructor) so that we could do a shore dive right in front of the hotel in a shallow area popular for swimming and snorkeling. They said it was illegal to rent tanks to individuals and to dive without a guide. Not true. So, basically, our industry is at the point where a PADI dive center will not rent tanks to a trimix instructor trainer who is a cave instructor and to an instructor who is a cave diver to putz around in the shallows. They also wouldn't due night dives due to the added liability. The more places I travel, the more I find that diving is becoming less and less adventurous. I saw some pretty horrible diving too. How about a diver who doggy paddles rather than add gas to his BCD as he helplessly sinks into the depths? As an open water student, I needed to control my buoyancy in a buddy breathing air share without hanging on to my buddy. Two divers had to fine tune their ascent rate together. Now, I get dive masters and open water instructors in tech class who cannot do that, nor can they maintain a safety stop while sharing gas.

As we decrease our standards, we decrease the level of proficient divers. As the number of proficient divers decreases, resorts and dive boat operators will prevent divers from engaging in more exciting diving opportunities. At least the resort in Bermuda allowed penetration. (As an advanced wreck penetration instructor, I've even had tech boats on real wreck dives tell us that they have a no penetration policy!) As diving excitement becomes dulled, we will lose divers who have developed skills and paid their dues to learning the sport. What it is turning into is the quality that you get when you pick up a crack ho from the street rather than investing the time and energy into courting a potential life-long partner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom