Weekdays at the Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoMount

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there. I'm in the Denver area and wondered if much was going on at the BH on the weekdays? I work for myself and like skiing on the weekdays (less crowded) and would like to do some weekday trips to the BH. Are there many folks there during the week? Need buddy and/or carpool buddy.

Thanks
Mike

ColoMount:
Hi there. I'm in the Denver area and wondered if much was going on at the BH on the weekdays? I work for myself and like skiing on the weekdays (less crowded) and would like to do some weekday trips to the BH. Are there many folks there during the week? Need buddy and/or carpool buddy.

Thanks
Mike

The weekdays are definitely less crowded than on the weekends. It is pretty nice diving on the weekdays if you can find a buddy.

ColoMount:

Thanks
Mike

Weekday diving is great. I've only done it once, and on a Friday night, but the vis was outstanding.

You will need a buddy, and you will need to either arrange for tanks with Stella, or to bring your own.

I may be up for a weekday~weekend dive combo. I don't like to burn much vacation to do a trip to the hole. But if you are interested in doing a trip where we leave Thursday evening, and dive Friday~Saturday or even to Sunday morning, I'd be interested in something like that. Diving on the weekends is actually kinda fun in that part of the whole experience is other divers. It's not that crowded even on the weekends. Sure it can be a bit annoying when you see people hit the bottom like a torpedo silting things up, but overall the vis is good even with a good number of divers there.

I concur with what's been said about weekday diving at BH. Been there and had the whole place to my buddy and I. Not a sole for hours!!!
Harleys and diving, my kinda experience!!!! (FLH Electra Glide Standard)

Ocean One:
I concur with what's been said about weekday diving at BH. Been there and had the whole place to my buddy and I. Not a sole for hours!!!
Harleys and diving, my kinda experience!!!! (FLH Electra Glide Standard)

LOL, that brings a new meaning to UW scootering........:confused:

sorry, Ron made me do it!

This all sound great.

RonFrank, I'd really like to put that together this summer. I'm taking Advanced OW this week and will do the dives at Homestead (ahhhh warm) the first week in May. After that I'd love to go to BH. I wouldn't be able to do any trip in April because I'm taking classes for my Sailing Coastal Cruising Cert.

I hope this works out. I'll at least be making some weekend trips. Are there usually folks around on weekends to pick up a buddy?
One more thing.... is there a link that talks about what I'll need there? ie; is a five mil wet suit good enough, do you use a hood?
I'll search around but any hints would be great.

Oh yea, how do I get tanks down there on a Harley?:D

ColoMount:
I hope this works out. I'll at least be making some weekend trips. Are there usually folks around on weekends to pick up a buddy?

We usually go out atleast one weekend a month, and you are always welcome to dive with us. We usually try for the third sunday of the month.

ColoMount:
One more thing.... is there a link that talks about what I'll need there? ie; is a five mil wet suit good enough, do you use a hood?

A 5 mil would not be enough for me, or most people I know. If you are really warm-blooded you might be able to get by with a 5-mil with a hooded vest.

ColoMount:

Now that might be tough!!

When you want to go, just post on here for a buddy, I'm sure you'll be able to find one.

Have fun in your AOW class!

ColoMount:
This all sound great.

RonFrank, I'd really like to put that together this summer. I'm taking Advanced OW this week and will do the dives at Homestead (ahhhh warm) the first week in May. After that I'd love to go to BH. I wouldn't be able to do any trip in April because I'm taking classes for my Sailing Coastal Cruising Cert.

No worries. I don't go down all that often, but a trip maybe near the end of July, or maybe early June would be about right. I'll be in FL the last couple three weeks in June~early July. I'm in OR I think the third week of July. We can plan more as the time get closer.

ColoMount:

As Jason said, the ABQ and TX folks nearby go down generally the third weekend of the month. The only down side is they are only there on Sunday normally, so if you go on a Friday or Sat, they are not there. I would *think* one could find a buddy if you go down solo, but OTOH most of the dive traffic is doing classes, and they are not there to just dive.

ColoMount:
I'll search around but any hints would be great.

The water is 62~64F. Most people dive a 7mm or a drysuit. My Freediving buddy got by with a 3mm with a 5mm core warmer, but that is 8mm at the core even if only 3mm on the legs and arms. He did a full hood, and gloves.

If you want to dive early, having a tank is generally necessary. Stella opens shop at around 8:00am, but that is Santa Rosa time, and it can vary from 8:00am~10:00am, and sometimes no one shows up to run the shop, but that is rare.

If you want to split gas, a Harley is going to be tough! :D

Heck, unless you have a trailer even just getting dive equipment down on a bike would be difficult minus tanks. It's not the best ride on a bike, mostly highway, mostly straight. Stay on the board, and we can definitely hook up. Finding buddies to ride share from Denver is not all that easy as most divers are not nutty enough to drive 12 hours to do a couple days of diving. There are three people from Denver that go down on a semi-regular basis just to dive, and that is myself, Kent (DiveDoggie) and Dan. Others that I know are instructors, and they are going down to teach, and using LDS trucks, so no ride share, and they make poor buddies as they are often doing OW classes.

We post before we go, so monitor the board, and stay in touch. We will put something together every 2~3 months from Denver, but mostly on weekends as there are tanks available to rent, and I work during the week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom