Week 3 Theme: Other Invertebrates, non nudis/flatworms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda:
The first is a comb jelly. I think the second is a siphonophore. Even if it's not a siphonophore I know what it IS "phore" - stinging the snot out of my lip when I got one between my mask and reg :crying:.
I HATE when that happens....stings like heck!

gt2003:
Dee, I forgot to mention, the crispness/sharpness in your photos is unbelievable! Any idea what f-stop you were using on the anemone and urchin? Unbelievable.

Thanks!

The urchin was ExposureTime : 1/50Sec, FNumber : F6.3

The anemone's info was lost through my ignorance when saving it!

alcina:
Ok...I'll start again this week! Let's see those other invertebrates that get overlooked in our nudi, flatworm, clam shots...

Here's a different view of an old favourite. Taken in heavy current, this sea apple was happily enjoying the floating buffet.

Here's a bearded fireworm:

1f6bcd40.jpg

And a tube dwelling anemone:

36abccd0.jpg

Clay

Dee:
Not sure what kind of anemone this is, it isn't in Humann's books...

aab.sized.jpg

Dee, that's a Condylactis gigantea (Caribbean purple clubbed anemone). This species is EXTREMELY plastic regarding the colours of its tentacles and club tips... you can find almost every colour variation in the rainbow. I like the bright white ones with neon green club tips, personally.

LouisisanaDiver has a pic of the same species on the post above this one.

SeaYoda:
The first is a comb jelly. I think the second is a siphonophore. Even if it's not a siphonophore I know what it IS "phore" - stinging the snot out of my lip when I got one between my mask and reg :crying:.

These are neat! I've never seen a pic of a comb jelly against anything other than an ocean background, and I must say I like the contrast with that rock.

As for the siphonophore (and you're correct in your ID), I never see enough photos of this thing from photographers. Either they're not too common, hard to frame, or simply scare everybody out of the water. And it can't have stung the snot out of you lip... all the snot's up your nose or defogging your mask!

Love these, especially the jellies and justleesa's urchins. :D

Here's my contribution -- I like this since it has both the crinoid and the cluster of tunicates on the outcropping. (from Yap)

archman:
These are neat! I've never seen a pic of a comb jelly against anything other than an ocean background, and I must say I like the contrast with that rock.

As for the siphonophore (and you're correct in your ID), I never see enough photos of this thing from photographers. Either they're not too common, hard to frame, or simply scare everybody out of the water. And it can't have stung the snot out of you lip... all the snot's up your nose or defogging your mask!

I wish the comb jelly was a clearer shot, if you look close you can see the rainbow effect in two or three spots. It was beautiful to watch in person.

Maybe the snot got on my lip because it stung so bad. This one didn't sting me. Like sharks, the one I didn't see got me :D .

Pardon the dirt, another siphonophore.

Back
Top Bottom