Wee Willy sinks..22 years ago...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
22 years ago today about this time in the afternoon my grandfathers commercial fishing boat started taking on water 72 miles off shore in the Gulf of Mexico. After radioing an SOS, he was picked up by a Russian Research trawler.

They threw a cargonet/ladder over the side, he tossed up his medicne bag/personal effects bag and clibmed up. he was literally standing ankle deep on the top of the vessel in his life raft. Since it was a 40' boat, he was the only guy.

About 8pm the Coast Guard showed up with their cutter Pointe Steele.The bow of the boat was still out of the water 6', all of the bed gear creating a block for air and floatation.. the running lights were still on all the way down to the stern. He asked the USCG to send her to Davey Jones and he watches as the Wee Willy went down to 180' eventually the lights succombing to the water and she was gone. (Coords unknown, but I'm sure the USCG has record of it somewhere for anyone insterested in researching it).

One of about 8 times in life my grandfather literally walked out of the Grim Reapers hands and told him "not yet, I'm not done". He didn't get a chance to step out a 9th time.. he went willingly in 1999 and now rests in Arlington National Cemetary.

How did the Coast Guard dispatch her, shot through the bow or someother means?

Rammed the vessel - The Wee Willy was a wood vessel, she took on water hen a spar popped free of a rib.

Neat story. Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks! I've got fond memories of that ole tub. I was little when she sank, but since she was in the back yard when he wasn't out fishing, I was always walking around her. There are a few things I'll never forget about that boat.. I caught my first grouper and snapper while standing on a foot stool near the stern. I saw my first sharks, flying fish, turtles, and porpoise playing in the wake on that boat. I got my very first sea sickness on that boat. I saw my first jew fish in the ice box of that boat (the ice box was 12'x12'x5' and the jew went corner to corner hypotenuse style and was bowed up to the 3' area on both sides). I learned about CB's, VHS, Depth Finders, and Lorance on that boat. I even fell off of the Wee Willy at the dock.

That boat and others we had growing up provided some unique childhood opportunities that thanks to development around here will never be available again. But the stories will live on! :D

CBulla:
That boat and others we had growing up provided some unique childhood opportunities that thanks to development around here will never be available again. But the stories will live on! :D
Better write and publish some of them.

Your story brought back fond memories. My grandfather was a shrimp fisherman in south Georgia. I had a lot of fun as a kid on his boat. I learned a lot about the water and learned to love the ocean from those trips.

TrainerAW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom