Weather/Advice for Philippines in July or August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brownmola

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to Maggie's wonderful help and advice :), my wife and I are planning on going to either Cabilao (Polaris Divers) or Dauin (El Dorado Resort) or both, if we can. We are planning on a 10-14 day trip. We were planning originally on Indonesia, but all of the posts here and pics have swayed us to the Philippines. Very excited about it!!

I know it is supposed to be typhoon/rainy season during that time, Maggie said that these locations aren't really affected by this. However, what kind of weather can I expect in these locations during this time? Will it be sunny at all? Will there be lots of rain? I've never been anywhere that had a "rainy season".

Also, any advice regarding my trip?? My wife and I don't have a lot of money or time to do a lot of dive trips, especially outside of the US. So I am doing the best I can to plan a great dive trip and not screw it up too badly.

Thank you so much for your time and advice!

I like the rainy season better actually. Nice showers without the howling amihan (northeast) winds. The weather can get pretty ugly, windy and rainy if a typhoon passes though. That can't be predicted at this point. But other than that, it's nice. I was just there in June and it was great. (I live in Belize but I lived there in the Philippines for 11 years)

for the last four years, i did most of my local holidays in August. the weather for me was perfect. not too hot compared to April/May and not damp compared to June (June was always raining until two years ago).

typhoon rarely passes through the visayas triangle (negros, cebu, bohol) so it should be great. :).

Hi Maggie, I would have PM'd you with these other questions, but I felt bad continously asking you questions and taking up your time, so I thought posting it on the board would be good.

If we end up going to both Dauin and Cabilao, would it make sense to go to one destination first over the other as far as ease of travel arrangements?

Do the rains/wind affect the diving much?

Any other tips or advice?

Thanks again, you guys are all great!

Maggie's right. The typhoons rarely hit the Visayas but as they pass by to the north they suck the wind up out of the the Southwest and bring some rain. but it's not usually much stronger than the dry season winds. The sides of any islands facing the open Sulu Sea in the Visayas are prone to having larger waves. I actually used to surf off of southern Panay near Miagao. But Cebu and Bohol are more protected.

nope. doesn't matter. there are direct flights from manila to both Bohol and Dumaguete. also, if you are touching down to Cebu Direct, there are ferries going to both islands (although, Cebu to Dumaguete is usually done via Bohol).

however, to maximize your diving time, you may want to do Dauin (Dumaguete) first so the last day before you fly out, you can spend it land-touring Bohol (chocolate hills, tarsiers, loboc river cruise, manmade forest, and whatever else they have there- they keep adding new attractions once in a while).

Hi Maggie, I would have PM'd you with these other questions, but I felt bad continously asking you questions and taking up your time, so I thought posting it on the board would be good.

If we end up going to both Dauin and Cabilao, would it make sense to go to one destination first over the other as far as ease of travel arrangements?

Do the rains/wind affect the diving much?

Any other tips or advice?

Thanks again, you guys are all great!

Once again <dancing on the table> :monkeydan.....the VISAYAS ROCK!!!

and in 2009, when you come back (i am sure you would want to come back) then you can visit Panay Explorers run by BabyD here. it should be operational by then.

:) still in Visayas.

Okay, 1 free fun dive for that one.

Back
Top Bottom