We want whale sharks! (and a little luxury)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had a sis like that, I'd probably won't take her anywhere further than 5-star Hilton in NY City, and even there she'd complain that TP isn't soft enough and 15 towels on their bathroom rack are too few. She'd most likely ruin your vacation no matter where you go, so I'm tempted to say "Dump her and go some place you can enjoy!" Wooops, did I really say that?!
2 tarponchik: I was hoping something would eat her, but she's too bony to be worth eating. :wink:

Well then if you demand to see whale sharks, go to the Atlanta Aquarium and see whale sharks, I am sure you could find some luxury in Atlanta. Then take a trip to Key West FL and do some dives. I am sure you could find some luxury there too. That would keep you out of Mexico, give you a whale shark view and keep the luxury and give you some diving. Not sure you could do it on your budget but you could check it out.
2 dmoore19: Why so angry? I have seen many things in aquariums that I would then like to go observe in their own homes (the ocean) to see their natural behavior.

I can't really do anything about the fact that my sister has a lot of money and wants to spend it in places she feels comfortable. I could tell by my hours of research that Utila/Roatan would probably not suit her, but I just wanted to check. Now I know for sure!

2 dmoore19: Why so angry? I have seen many things in aquariums that I would then like to go observe in their own homes (the ocean) to see their natural behavior.

I can't really do anything about the fact that my sister has a lot of money and wants to spend it in places she feels comfortable. I could tell by my hours of research that Utila/Roatan would probably not suit her, but I just wanted to check. Now I know for sure!

No anger at all. Just trying to help solve a problem. You want to see whale sharks and luxury and not in Mexico............Seems like a viable alternative to me.

I have been to Roatan and found it to be a wonderful place, rustic but wonderful. Probably one of the best vacations I have ever been on. Didn't have problems with bugs but they were there. It wasn't the Four Seasons but it wasn't the Bates Motel either.

2 tarponchik: I was hoping something would eat her, but she's too bony to be worth eating. :wink:

Bony? Whale Shark? Pinocchio?

The Whale Shark (Rhiniodon typus) is the largest and gentlest sea creature, and considered harmless to humans. It cruises around the equator in the open sea, occasionally ranging into temperate waters. The Whale Shark is dark brown with yellowish spots topside, and white underside. If you ever heard the story of Pinocchio, this is the shark Gepetto lived inside of until Pinocchio came to get him out.

I think they like crunchy things. (It adds texture to the invisible goop they filter out)

check out the new utopia dive resort on utila. the rooms are pretty, luxurious and spacious and the resort see's whale sharks very often.

I believe the time to see Whalesharks in Utila would be February. April/May would be Palencia, and June-August would be Isla Holbox and Isla Murjeres.

So they migrate depending on the time of year. Not sure where they go in the fall during the peak of hurricane season, but it just may be the surface conditions don't lead to easy spotting of them.

check out the new utopia dive resort on utila. the rooms are pretty, luxurious and spacious and the resort see's whale sharks very often.

Utila has bugs, regardless of where you stay! The idea of having to spray bugspray all over her body 24/7 would not work for his sister.

I believe the time to see Whalesharks in Utila would be February. April/May would be Palencia, and June-August would be Isla Holbox and Isla Murjeres.

So they migrate depending on the time of year. Not sure where they go in the fall during the peak of hurricane season, but it just may be the surface conditions don't lead to easy spotting of them.

actually whale sharks have been seen every single month for the last 30 months around utila.
the best months in recent years have been march, april, may and september but they're always there.

I know this is the Bay Islands forum, but the OP seemed to be open to most of the globe. We loved Thailand, saw a whale shark in March (while on SCUBA), many mantas and amazing other dives, and there's great luxury available.

actually whale sharks have been seen every single month for the last 30 months around utila.
the best months in recent years have been march, april, may and september but they're always there.
Of course every single month Utila has more visitors not swimming with the whale sharks than those that do. It is hit or miss no matter what .

Back
Top Bottom