We offer daily 2 tank guided dive trips in Kona...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just enquiring on a recommendations for lodging that's close by at a good price??? your operation sounds amazing, and i'd love to make a trip out to visit :)

I don't know if I'd call it amazing, just three people who like to dive and have a good time - it's tough to find a job better than scuba tours for that.

Most of Kona's dive operators launch out of Honokohau Harbor, which is about 4 miles south of the Kona airport and 2-3 miles north of Kailua-Kona. There's bascially 4 miles of rock between the harbor and the airport, and 2 miles of rock between the harbor and town, so it's easy to find, but the nearest places to stay are in town and you will likely need a rental car to get around. Lopaka was right about stressing reserving a rental car - there is no/little real public bus system, the hotels don't have shuttles, the area's kind of spread out and there's more tourists than rental cars (they run out frequently when it's busy).

Kailua has lots of condos for rent, you can check out ..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner for that. There are a couple of nicer hotels in the Kailua area, the Sheraton and the Outrigger to name a couple. The Royal Kona Resort is reasonably priced and is an older resort (Hilton built it in the 60s) that has been in the process of renovating and is centrally located. For a clean, modestly priced hotel I usually recommend checking out the Kona Seaside. The King Kamehameha has long been a centralized fixture and it's supposedly going to be remodeled in the next couple of years. The major resorts are about 30-45 minutes north of the harbor up in South Kohala, it's mostly high end stuff up there, many of them are very nice. A couple of the resorts up north do have operators that dive out of their areas also. There's lots of other options in the area, coffee farms with rentals, B&Bs and such, within about 45 minutes or so of the harbor if one wants to get away from the crowds.

It's an interesting place.

Aloha,

My wife and I dove in Kona on our Honeymoon and loved it. We did a couple with Jacks, a couple with Big Island Divers and couple shore dives on our own. We really prefered Big Island Divers over Jacks. We did the manta ray dive with both outfits and got skunked with Jacks. Apparently there were no mantas at the south site for a couple of days but they didn't tell us that until after we got back....

We would love to go back some day and do some more diving with you. We booked a condo in Kona called the Kona Makai which was nice, not fancy but nice. You are correct on the rental car situation, book one online before you leave because you will definatly need one. The whole city has a nice laid back attitude and is not busy and crowded like I hear some of the other islands.

I'll be there Monday night ... for good. I can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom