We need to sink the enterprise!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There will be a nice ship sunk off the coast of NJ it's the USS Arthur Radford. It was suppose to be sunk in August but got held back. Last I heard a sinking date of April or May is now Sceduled.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/uss_arthur_w_radford_to_become.html

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/destroyer_uss_arthur_w_radford.html

http://navysite.de/dd/dd968.htm

http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/968.htm

Destroyer USS Arthur W. Radford will become largest ship sunk to form artificial reef off N.J. coast

300px-USSArthurWRadfordDD-968.jpg

It s too bad the Enterprise cant be used as a Museum with all it s history. At least it wont be sitting on the bottom of the Ocean somewhere as a artifical reef.

And you can go all the way to Grand Cayman to see it. But it's not in the United States, is it?

Yes it is in the Grand Caymen I am glad you can read. Whats your point?? I am sure we will see another ship in the future. Our Navy gave this one away they will do more.

Yes it is in the Grand Caymen I am glad you can read. Whats your point?? I am sure we will see another ship in the future. Our Navy gave this one away they will do more.

My point is that the Navy (Marad) is unlikely to pay for any more ship cleanings with ambiguous (look it up, it's a big word) guidance from EPA about how clean is clean. The navy is happy to "give away" ships for reefing, hell, there are 600 stricken vessels in inventory that need to be disposed of. As long as the vessels remain in US waters, the Navy will be responsible for any pollution identified coming from those vessels (Google "Cradle to Grave") whether those pollutants are even identified as pollutants at time of sinking.

So, the Navy can spend millions to remove all asbestos insulation (the Tuna-prise is loaded with it), all wiring and sound deadening insulation (contains or COULD CONTAIN PCB), but free release criteria requires less than 2 picocuries per 100 cm2 removable contamination with no inaccessible areas. Any naval vessel that carried "special weapons" (I can neither confirm nor deny....) would also have to be free released. It's a little easier to clear a weapons launcher on a tin can than it is to clear 8 reactor compartments. The alternative is that the Navy can send the Tuna to be sunk in 10,000 feet of water (think USS America) outside of 200 miles, or send it to Brownsville to be cut up for scrap.

As long as the EPA continues to be a thorn in the side of MARAD, it will be very difficult to get ships from the Navy to reef in US waters. Your government working for you.

The alternative is that the Navy can send the Tuna to be sunk in 10,000 feet of water (think USS America) outside of 200 miles, or send it to Brownsville to be cut up for scrap.

That was for the CV-21 concept (basically how much would it actually take to sink our "modern" carriers)...but either way, the US Navy still stripped out the majority of hazards.

As long as the EPA continues to be a thorn in the side of MARAD, it will be very difficult to get ships from the Navy to reef in US waters. Your government working for you.

Makes me even more excited that I bought a ticket for the USS Radford. Oh, and the Vandenburg was a US Naval Ship (as opposed to USS), meaning that MSC (Military Sealift Command, a contracted DoD entity) most likely shouldered SOME cost for the reef. I can't wait to make it down there sometime. :)

As for the Oriskany, I know that everyone who has dove it that I KNOW has loved it. And yes, it's done wonders for the PCola Diving community...Can't wait to do that too...

Man I was reading this thread and thinking man this sounds familiar.

By the by your friends father was not on this USS Enterprise (CVN-65) during WWII unless he was in that movie about the Enterprise time traveling back to WWII before Pearl Harbor. This USS Enterprise is Nuclear powered, something that did not exist in WWII. There is NO Way the Navy is going to let this carrier go as an artificial reef.
The Big E from WWII was a workhorse during the Pacific Campaign no doubt and we should all thank your friends father for his service.

Just to clarify for the OP: For a whole host of reasons I won't and can't get into on a public forum, I can say with great certainty CVN 65 will not be free released for the publics' use, whether as a museum or an artificial reef. Personally I don't know a damn thing about the process the Navy uses to give away boats to use as reefs, but I've spent the majority of my career with the Navy Nuclear Power Program and mobile Chernobyl ain't going anywhere near CIVLANT.

Michael

unless he was in that movie about the Enterprise time traveling back to WWII before Pearl Harbor.

Wrong aircraft carrier there too. The carrier portrayed in the movie "Final Countdown" was actually the U.S.S. Nimitz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom