We have a state fish again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
As of today!

Leslie Wilcox :
Same fish is state fish

Once again, we have an official state fish. And it's the same state fish as the last time around.

Two young boys had a hand in restoring the title to the Humuhumunukunuku'apuaa.

The boys are getting high praise from a state lawmaker who says they informed him Hawaii had lost its official fish and they inspired him to seek the new legislation.

This is the fish that got away. Nobody noticed when legislation conferring the crown to the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa expired a decade-and-a-half-ago.

Then the Itomura brothers came along.

"It wasn't until Joel and Dane talked to me that I realize it's not our state fish. Everybody thinks it is, but it wasn't," says Representative Blake Oshiro, D-Aiea-Halawa-Pearlridge.

Joel knew because he watches out for Humu. Plus, his dad told him.

"I love the Humu. Every island we visit I look for it," says Joel Itomura, 6 years old.

He and his 8-year-old brother Dane had to square off against heavy hitters at the State Capitol.

"This was something that the Department of Land and Natural Resources had opposed initially, so they came out and testified in opposition. It wasn't until Joel and Dane came down and said why they wanted this bill that the department changed their mind," says Representative Oshiro.

"It was kind of scary," admits Dane Itomura.

But the Humu-loving boys saw victory. They and fellow students thanked Representative Oshiro for championing their cause, presenting a "humu-ngous" card.

The 6-year-old has learned enough about the legislative process that he's going to remain vigilant.

"If it again doesn't become the state fish, I'll try to make it back again," says Joel.

The fish named for its pig-like snout took it on the chin during the debate. It was knocked because it's found in other places in the world.

But its popularity -- and the Itomura brothers -- prevailed.

Glad to hear the title is restored.

Where did you get this news article from? I'd like to show it to some friends.

As stated int the quote it is from Leslie Wilcox from KHON2 news

:D

Humuhumu.jpg

Image from this site

Alabama has 2 state fish: freshwater is largemouth bass and saltwater is fighting tarpon. There you go...in case you are on Jeopardy someday and need to know that...

Thanks for the news Leesa! It's definitely the perfect choice for Hawaii - Humu's have always been the "State fish" even if the legislature didn't recognize that.

Aloha, Tim

I didn't even know it wasn't the state fish for awhile there! So I lied! I came back from Maui and told everyone of the state fish - the humuhumunukunukuapua'a... and they'd look at me strange and say.. "what did you just say?" So I'd repeat it... real fast. hehe (yes, I practiced) Anyway, hat's off to those boys who helped reinstate it. Oh, and thanks Justleesa for the great picture :)

that is cool, although i was hoping they would have picked something cooler like a tiger shark or something, or a sea horse, or maybe just a regular horse, that would have been awesome what's your state fish? the budweiser clydesdales, haha just kidding it is seriously good to hear we have a state fish that confuses the heck out of people on the mainland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom