Ways you can use a spare air tank other than as scuba redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the reply, 3 goes into 80 26 times is what I was thinking, why would I only get one refill in a 3 cf tank from an 80 cf tank? couldn't I at least get ten refills or so before the big tank's pressure drops below 3000 psi, at which point the smaller tank wouldn't get full refills any longer...we were guessing about 10 full/complete refills, tell me if you agree to that guess. The techs at spare air business said I would get several refills from a standard diving tank, but I didn't know enough about the pressure specifics to quiz them I just assumed they weren't lying. When you buy the spare air kit you get a refilling adapter meant to hook up to a standard diving tank, I was assuming this would be all I would need to refill off a standard rented tank, when would I need to use that bank system you are talking about?

If you pray enough that day and you are lucky you might even get 11 :D

I think you might be happier with a set up like this:

Cape%20Cod_jpg.jpg

I have seen a number of different brands and the cool part is most dive shops will fill the little cylinder for free if you tell them it is your Redundant Gas Supply for safety when diving. Just don't bring the rest of the kit in with the cylinder when you do.

Here is a better photo

tactical20.jpg

what is it?? :huh:

that's Zeagle' "rapid response" diver unit.

It's mean to be donned in a hurry by a rapid responder, like thrown on quickly, and then swim down to a vehicle or something that's just entered the water.

it has a small pony bottle on the front of it. not meant for long term diving, just short term emergency response.

Thanks Mud for the plug...do you think she would want the Glock holster on the hip or just mounted on the front of the tank?

Chris

thanks for the quick replies. To put it simply, if I'm not mistaken with this device, the spare air 3000, one can scuba dive in a pool for about 8 minutes on careful breathing. That's what I was interested in, nothing near a full scuba setup but again literally a handheld scuba will let you dive pretty much anywhere for 8 minutes. Carry two, and you got 16, see what I mean?

Ideally I just want to set up a small refill station in the garage, and refill one or two spare air tanks as needed, and be able to play with them in the pool on sunny days. Can you think of any medical risks in doing this repeatedly? Actually I've already bought it, it's on the way, just seeing if there's anything I've left out before I hop in

Brandon,

You would more realistically have 2-5 minutes of air. If spending 5 minutes on the bottom of the pool is fun for you go for it. For the price of two you could get yourself a set of used gear and stay down an hour with gas to spare. Unless weight and space are issues I am not sure what problem you are solving.

A.

With the amount of time you'd waste figuring out how to fill the thing, you could just practice freediving techniques and you'd be able to hold your breath nearly as long as the spare air would last.

Or...

IMG_2663_1.jpg

:lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom