ways to deal with chafing or rubbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisMk

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What is a good way to deal with chafing/rubbing of suits that does not involve slimy goo like Vaseline?

Wear something underneath like a rash guard.

Baby Powder? Never tried it under a suit but I use it before I work out all the time

I wonder how Bodyglide would work for you? It works nicely when running and doesn't seem like vaseline (to me, at least).

Baby Powder? Never tried it under a suit but I use it before I work out all the time
I use baby powder under a dry suit all the time. Definintely wouldn't work under a wetsuit as it would turn into goo and quickly wash away.

We use a 50/50 mix of hair conditioner/water to "lube up" our freediving wetsuits so we can pull them on, it might work for under a wetsuit. Depending on how often the suit flushes, it may not last long though.

All the best, James

I wonder how Bodyglide would work for you? It works nicely when running and doesn't seem like vaseline (to me, at least).

2nd the Bodyglide. I too use it for running and I used to use it for snorkeling and it works extremely well.

What is a good way to deal with chafing/rubbing of suits that does not involve slimy goo like Vaseline?
Wear something underneath like a rash guard.
I agree with USCScubaboy. Wear something underneath the wetsuit to minimize friction between your body and the suit.

There are lots of full body-style Lycra suits on the market that are ideal for this application. If you shop around, you can get one for $50 or less.

When I was going through OW certification, I recall getting the worst abrasions behind my knee from wearing an ill-fitting rental wetsuit. Every time I kicked, I felt the suit rub against that area of skin. It was horrible. The solution that I settled on was a "sharkskin" Lycra suit that I wore underneath the wetsuit. A positive side benefit is that the Lycra suit makes it super-easy to don/doff the wetsuit.

Over the years, I've found that, without a Lycra undersuit, a properly fitting wetsuit won't create the same behind-the-knee abrasions. YMMV.

Anybody else have a sudden mental image of Burt Reynolds in Striptease?

+1 for the skin. I wear a Henderson dive skin all the time. Neo Sport by Henderson Lycra Skin Suit

Less than $30. In warm water, it's sufficient unto itself. In less warm water, it makes it super easy to get in & out of a wetsuit. And nothing chafes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom