Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't know the answer to that question. It is the difficulty with this question that underlies my doubt about whether this was in fact unlawful homicide at all.

One needs to keep carefully in mind the distinction between what I will call obligation and what I will call duty. By the former, I mean moral obligation, in a good samaritan sense. By the latter, I mean a legal obligation.

In general, the law (at least in Australia, and perhaps subject to a qualification in the case of medical practitioners in certain circumstances, and perhaps for professional rescuers whilst engaged in their profession) does not impose any obligation to rescue another (ie the embark upon a rescue...once commenced, there may be some obligation to continue, and subject to recent statutory modifications some obligation to exercise due care in doing so). If I see someone drowning at the beach, and I do not make any effort to rescue them, even if it is within my capability to do so and could be done without danger to myself, I am not liable for standing there and doing nothing. Morally, I may be obliged to, but legally, I am not duty-bound to do so.

The question then arises, was there something about the relationship between Gabe and his wife (by which I mean, their relationship as buddies) that changes that position. I have some doubts that that relationship changes anything at all. Again, while there may be a moral obligation to assist, I doubt there is a legal obligation created. One of the reasons for that is that in practical terms, for many of us, we have little or no choice in who is our buddy, at least in some circumstances (I am think about going out on a boat on your own and being paired up with someone unknown by the DM, for example). And we certainly do not have the capacity to, for example, assess their capability beforehand. Importantly, for example, we have no ability to assess their ability to self-rescue, no capacity to assess the likelihood of uncontrolled panic, no knowledge of their level of fitness and other health-related aspects of diving. Those factors I think militate against the imposition of legal duty upon a buddy. On the other hand, of course, one of the things that the law of negligence cares deeply about is vulnerability, and one could argue that one's buddy is vulnerable in the sense that they will be looking to you to act in the event that they get into trouble. That, after all, is one of the primary purposes of diving in buddies I would have thought. I am not suggesting they have an expectation that you will be able to act competently so as to effect rescue, but at least act appropriately in trying to assist and if unable to do so to raise the alarm. However, in my view the law in Australia would likely come down on the side of obligation but no duty.

Assuming there is a duty, however, what then? It is then necessary to determine what the appropriate response in a given set of circumstances is. And one of the greatest difficulties here is that while the law tries to assess the reasonableness of your response objectively, one of the factors that will be relevant to that will be factors subjective to the putative rescuer. We are trained, even as rescue divers, not to attempt rescue unless it is reasonably safe to do so. That will involve a very personal judgment in each case, and depend upon subjective feelings of comfort and self-assessment of ability. This will change from diver to diver, and from time to time and place to place for any particular diver. The point I am trying to make is that it is very difficult to be able to say a priori what reasonable conduct requires of us, and that is usually a good indication that there is no legal duty to act. So while we might like to think the law would impose a duty on our buddy to try and help us, we might at the same time be reluctant to allow the law to look through the retrospectoscope and critically analyse our conduct as a rescuer.

I think it would be a sad day when the law imposed a legal obligation to rescue with consequences on the rescuer for failing to do so, or failing to do so adequately. There would be nothing more disasterous than a rescuer feeling pressured by legal obligation to attempt or continue an attempt at rescue, and thereby falling victim themselves (that is not to say that some would not feel such pressure from a moral obligation, but I would rather die trying to rescue someone because I thought it was the right thing to do, than because I was afraid that the victim might sue me, or worried that my liability insurance may not cover me etc).

Rest assured that this case has sufficiently troubled me to prompt me to do some more research on rescue, which I hope to turn into an article for our local sports law journal. So any insights or comments (polite ones of course) would be welcomed.

So where does the Good Samaritan Act come into all this? Queensland have introduced changes to their act through a bill in 2007 which states:

The objective of the Bill is to afford legal protection to persons in our community who assist "persons in distress", provided that such aid or assistance is given in emergency circumstances, and that any act done or omitted is done so in good faith and without reckless disregard.

I was of the opinion that once you were buddied with someone you had a legal responsibility to help them to the best of your ability and level of training providing that it did not put you or anyone else in danger.

This comes from the understanding that if you have first aid training and begin to render first aid to a casualty then you are obliged to continue to help to the limit of your training, until such time that someone with greater training is available to help, on the proviso that it does not put you or anyone else in danger.

If you do not render any help then you are under no obligation.

Simply being a buddy does not mean you have commenced to rescue. So I agree with what you say in the second and third paragraphs, but I don't think that is inconsistent with there not being a legal duty impose don a buddy to in fact commence rendering aid.

I agree ... only a life sentence would appease them.

I have thought from the start that the family did not particularly like Gabe and there was a great deal of animosity between them. (probably even before the death of their daughter)

Yes. The Judge's remarks also stated that Watson had been given references that he was of good character and was devastated by the loss of his wife, so that contrasts with the villain he has been painted as being in the media and, as you say, by the family. That is not to say they aren't entitled to their beliefs but it is starting to feel like a witch hunt to me.

So where does the Good Samaritan Act come into all this? Queensland have introduced changes to their act through a bill in 2007 which states:

The objective of the Bill is to afford legal protection to persons in our community who assist "persons in distress", provided that such aid or assistance is given in emergency circumstances, and that any act done or omitted is done so in good faith and without reckless disregard.

That is the recent legislative change that I was talking about. Of course there is now, in every jurisdiction in Australia, legislation to similar effect. It usually applies where the samaritan acts in good faith and without reckless disregard. Curiously, a "good samaritan" is defined as a person who comes to the aid of another, so in fact it says nothing about liability for failing to come to another's aid at all.

So the "or omitted" in fact means an omission in the course of rescuing, rather than an omission to rescue at all.

That is the recent legislative change that I was talking about. Of course there is now, in every jurisdiction in Australia, legislation to similar effect. It usually applies where the samaritan acts in good faith and without reckless disregard. Curiously, a "good samaritan" is defined as a person who comes to the aid of another, so in fact it says nothing about liability for failing to come to another's aid at all.

Well as you say, going to another's aid is more a moral rather than a legal issue.

The Yongala by the way is an intermediate dive. The company I was going to dive with state on their website:

"The Yongala is an intermediate dive site and it is recommended that divers should be comfortable in conditions which can sometimes be challenging. Novice divers (those with less than 20 dives) should ensure they have refreshed their skills within the last six months and will be provided with a dive guide..."

Well as you say, going to another's aid is more a moral rather than a legal issue.

The Yongala by the way is an intermediate dive. The company I was going to dive with state on their website:

"The Yongala is an intermediate dive site and it is recommended that divers should be comfortable in conditions which can sometimes be challenging. Novice divers (those with less than 20 dives) should ensure they have refreshed their skills within the last six months and will be provided with a dive guide..."

And to correct something someone said in one of the earlier posts, it is only one end that lies in 30m water. The other end is at 15 metres, so a diver diving within OW limit with what should be great visibility would get a good look at the wreck.

Yes but has moderate currents I believe so it may not be that comfortable for novice divers in certain conditions.

I fully accept that the conditions may make it uncomfortable for novice or more timid divers.

I'm glad you concur!

And if your article is published in the sports law journal please send us a link! I'm sure there are many here who would be interested in reading it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom