Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't the prosecutor change to someone who's not very interested in the Watson case? There seemed to be some sort of political change that made it less likely that Watson would ever have a trial in the U.S., even before the budget cuts.

Attorney General Troy King, who was spearheading the prosecution was defeated in the November election.

A new Attorney General is in office now.

The person prosecuting the case is Don Valeska, a non-elected assistant state attorney.

What the new Attorney General gives in direction for this is not known yet. However, you are correct that he doesn't seem as interested in the case. (of course he's not up for re-election trying to get media attention like Troy King was at the time).

Death at 27 metres
An interesting article in the Sydney Morning Herald

Interesting article, and it sums up my feelings about that fateful day.

-Gabe hadn't been diving for over a year, had very little ocean experience, and no rescue experience.
-He couldn't even put his own fins on.
-They both refused a checkout dive.
-Tina lied on her medical release.
-Gabe talked the talk but couldn't walk the walk, as far as his abilities as a diver go.
-Both divers panicked...maybe even before they splashed.

IMO, The dive op should never have let either of them into the water that day and should have insisted on the checkout dive. The dive op's liability would be highly in question if the accident had occurred in US waters.
Tina's parents SHOULD be angry, but not for murder. Yes for, incompetence, negligence, lying, misleading their daughter, and on and on. Manslaughter, gross negligence.. Gabe has already served his time. Tina's parents would have a better chance with a lawsuit for emotional hardship or something along those lines.

It will be interesting to hear what comes out in court if it ever actually goes back to trial.

As guilty as the reporting thus far makes Watson look to me, it's outrageous that he faces trial here, for a second time on the same alleged crime, having already been tried and punished by the authorities who conducted the contemporaneous investigation.

As guilty as the reporting thus far makes Watson look to me, it's outrageous that he faces trial here, for a second time on the same alleged crime, having already been tried and punished by the authorities who conducted the contemporaneous investigation.

Interesting observations. It is amazing how the media can spin stuff. If the media had sympathized with Watson and called him the Schlep Who Got Railroaded After His Beloved New Bride Died While Diving, people would be taking up collections to help him defend himself.

But as far as being tried and punished, there was no trial. It was a plea deal in which a court of competent jurisdiction found that there was a factual basis (though heaven knows how) for his plea to manslaughter.

The only reason I'd like to see a trial is for the VERY SELFISH reason that I'd like to see exactly what the evidence is and what the experts who have analyzed the dives have to say about the dive data.

The only reason I'd like to see a trial is for the VERY SELFISH reason that I'd like to see justice be done.

Back
Top Bottom