Watoom Cyano decompression algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There has been discussion in other threads regarding the decompression algorithm run by the Watoom Cyano, said to be Buhlmann ZH-L16C, but thought by most to be a proprietary version similar to PZ+ or the algorithm run on the Deepblu Cosmiq.

I queried DGX and they did their usual excellent job of obtaining and supplying information. This is now posted on the DGX website:

CYANO uses Bühlmann ZH-L16C with the widely adopted gradient factor modification as its algorithm for calculation of decompression limits. The CYANO user interface incorporates a selectable setting to provide the diver's choice for one of three sport diving NDL safety factors: Poor Diving Conditions (most conservative) = GF 35/75, Normal Diving Conditions= GF 40/85, Great Diving Conditions (least conservative) = GF 45/95. The CYANO also provides support for performing required decompression stops should unforeseen circumstances cause the diver to exceed the selected NDL. As a recreational sport diving single gas Nitrox dive computer, Dive Gear Express does not recommend the CYANO for planned required stop technical diving although it's richly featured gauge mode makes it an excellent backup bottom timer for use with tables.

So, the Cyano runs the same 3 presets used by Shearwater in the their Rec mode. Assuming this is a reliable product, with service if required, this could be quite a deal for $300. Watoom could have done a better job than calling their 3 levels of conservatism, poor, normal, and great. This information still does not seem to be on the Watoom website CYANO 시아노, but now we know.

Watoom could have done a better job than calling their 3 levels of conservatism, poor, normal, and great.
Those adjectives don't even apply to the level of conservatism, they apply to the diving conditions! Yes, they could have done a much better job.

I'm reluctant to recommend this computer to anyone just yet....sometimes being an early adopter is not the best strategy.

So now the question is, does the Cyano use the GFLo when calculating NDLs... :D

Those adjectives don't even apply to the level of conservatism, they apply to the diving conditions! Yes, they could have done a much better job.

I'm reluctant to recommend this computer to anyone just yet....sometimes being an early adopter is not the best strategy.
I have asked DGX about their sale numbers and return/service rates, they may answer me

So now the question is, does the Cyano use the GFLo when calculating NDLs... :D

Gotta :heart: syncronicity: there's the thread over at tech discussing Dr Doolette's article and setting GF Lo to > 55 and/or to 83% of Gf Hi...

I have asked DGX about their sale numbers and return/service rates, they may answer me

I highly doubt a company would divulge sales numbers. Most people protect their data.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom