Watershot / Stryker Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I see that Watershot is having a very tempting promotion on its lights (2 for the price of 1). They certainly look good on paper and I see that Scubalab rated them one of their top lights for 2011 in their recent test.

Does anyone have these lights and can you give me any feedback? The brightness (700 lumen) is not quite what I hope for, but if they come out with newer heads I can change that out later. In the meantime, 2 good quality primaries with 700 lumens and 10 hours of burn for a total of $640 is very tempting.

However, these will be primaries and they have to be bulletproof. That is why I am asking for feedback from users.

Guy

I've had one for about a year now and have nothing but good things to say about the Strykr... Most of the people i dive with end up following me around, haha. Getting 2 of those for the price of one is a ridiculous deal!!!

Hello guyharrisonphoto,

I'm a Watershot dealer, but, deal their housings for Canon dSLRs. WS sent me two Strykers to try out, many months ago. As I am not a techie-type diver, I loaned them out to divers I know who are. Both are full-cave certified, one a PADI CD and another FC Instructor. Both had all good things to say about the Strykers. FWIW, cd

Guy,

My buddy and I decided to give Watershot a try after the Scubalab review. We dive in Pacific Northwest with not much natural light usually and pretty bad visibility. We bought 2 lights (that was even before the buddy promo was announced) and couldn't be happier. Lights are extremely bright and have a nice mix of focused beam with some wide area scatter as well. The lights are very sturdy and look like will take a lot of abuse. They are extremely well made and connection blinds are included for storing all components separately. Batteries are very small and light but give you enough runtime for a couple of night dives. Customer service is also excellent with usually replies coming back within hours of any question. I would definitely buy again and with the new promo it is really a no-brainer as you can get 2 light for the price of one and keep one as backup or double the time between recharges.. They are some light with more output out there but at much higher price points. We have posted 2 videos on Watershot's Facebook page so check it out if you want to see the light in action.

Hope this helps in making your decision,

Simon

Well, I took the plunge. I will explain why I took the chance. Here is what I get for $400 (each for my wife and I):

1. A 700 Lumen light head that is extremely small, has a tight, bright 9 degree spot with a good, evenly lighted halo of about 50 degrees, with three intensity levels plus strobe, and, very rare, a lighted control switch on the head so no fumbling for the canister. Watershot says it is brighter than 10W HIDs and the Scubalab tests confirm this
2. A very nice "cut above" neoprene hand/wrist mount for the head, that has a hard plastic plate (padded underneath) and two straps (wrist/palm) so the light is very solidly mounted, I doubt I will even feel the light on my hand and will have total "hands free" operation.
3. An 8 cell Li-ion battery in a "canister" that gives six hours of burn on high and is so small and light I hesitate to even call it a canister. I doubt I will even feel it on my harness.
4. A 22" coiled cord instead of the 30" straight that is standard, making it more compact and less obtrusive.
5. A charger (of course) that charges the pack in about 5 hours (but recall this is a pack that gives 6 hours on high).

This feature set would be hard to find in any light, and reasonably priced at $800. To get TWO for this price is unheard of (and I have been looking for a long time).

If you want to save and only pay $300 each, you can chose the smaller Li-ion battery (4 cells, three hours of burn on high, 2.5 hour charge time). This is so tiny they even offer an "armband" stretchy neoprene mount and a 12" cord so there is absolutely no entanglement possibility, but still full "hands free" operation with a tiny light head (as opposed to a hand-mounted self-contained flashlight style light which would have to be large and heavy to equal this output).

Either of these would be an ultimate "travel" set-up due to the very tiny size and light weight. However, I do not see where they are lacking anything and are fine for a full-blown primary, even technical, dive light. i suggested to Watershot that they develop a battery pack that takes AAs and I think they might offer that next year.

Another good feature, the system is modular. Watershot makes another head with a 14 degree spot and a brighter diffused halo, and also makes a 75 degree video light head with the same 700 lumen output but a very even wide spread. They are freely swappable. The 14 degree head, I believe, would be a little better for general night diving than the 9 degree, but I went with the more penetrating beam and, instead, I also ordered two of the video heads so that when I am doing video dives, my wife and I can swap the heads and bring to bear 1400 lumens of light for videos. Plenty for most night dives, and useful even for daytime diving if you are close to your subject. Also, they light up a huge area and so are perfect for night dives in clear water. We also have the option of swapping to the standard head and getting the bright high-penetration beam for day dives or for clear signalling.

What sealed the deal was the responsiveness of Jonathan, their rep. When I asked for beam spread photos, he took beam shots of all three heads (9, 14, 75 degree) in his yard and on the wall of their warehouse. He answered every question I had very thoroughly and always within the same day. This seems to be a company that is serious about their product.

These will arrive probably Monday (free shipping to Florida!!) and we will be diving these on the 29th and 30th for a night/early morning dive at the Blue Heron Bridge. I will give my preliminary review then.

The 2 for 1 sale expires at the end of July. Maybe they will keep it going a little longer as more people buy and review these, but that is just a guess. I went ahead and invested my hard-earned $$$ in these but feel that I could not have touched this level of lighting quality otherwise.

Simon,

Thanks for your response. I saw the videos on the facebook page. Looks like these penetrate very well considering the circumstances.

Guy

Two for one SALE is back....we are celebrating a good 2011 (Gear of the Year winner from Scuba Diving Magazine). This is an awesome deal...while supplies last!
2011 Gear of the Year Sale.jpg

I got mine in yesterday and it's awesome. Haven't taken it on a dive yet but it lights up the entire house at night, construction is also top notch. The only two things I wish they offered as accessories was a neoprene cover for the light head/wrist mount and some extra alumnium plugs to cover the light and battery ports when they aren't connected to the cable.

If these things perform as well as they look I've found then Watershot has made a believer out of me.

On a side note as much as I love the light so far I don't think I'm going to need two, so if anyone else is interested in a brand new never used 10w system with 12" coiled cord for $450 let me know.

Last edited:
The only two things I wish they offered as accessories was a neoprene cover for the light head/wrist mount

I took an old 3mm wet suit and cut/sewed a cover for my Watershot camera housing port. Works like a charm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom