Waterproof wetsuit, worth the hype/price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Waterproof W4 in a size ML, but it's a little too big for me. I have several other 7mm wetsuits (several different brands) in size ML that fit perfectly. I'll agree with everyone else on the quality of the Waterproof suit, but they do seem to run a little bigger than the same size from other brands.

Greetings!
I am heading to the Great Barrier reef next June and am looking for a new wetsuit. I am considering a Waterproof brand.
question 1: Are they worth the hype/cost? It seems they are about $50-$100 more than a comparable brand. I like the features listed on the website.

question 2: I have read a review or two that stated their 3mm is like a 5mm for warmth because of the lack of water transfer in the suit. Is this true? GBR at this time will be in low 70's. I will be on the Spirit of Freedom liveaboard so I will be diving a lot. Suggestions for a suit if I go Waterproof?

I appreciate your time and opinion. Thanks.

Hello,

I have been diving with a W4 3mm waterproof suit for the last couple years and have been extremely happy with it. Top notch fit and finish plus the special lining is great for donning and doffing the suit. For cooler temps, i.e low to mid 70's, I layer in a 3/5 hooded vest. combination does a great job at that temp range. I am also in the market for a 7mm soon and will definitely look to fill with another waterproof brand suit.

Happy Diving!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom