Waterproof W3 Size Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nevennett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi

I've just bought a Waterproof W3 from Leisure Pro, and from the overall build quality and appearance I can already see it's a fantastic product. I am going to be using it for a liveaboard on the GBR at the end of the month.

I do have a slight dilema regarding the size. I bought a medium, I am about 175cm/5''9", and of medium build (and realistically unlikely to get skinnier!). It is perfect through the legs and arms, and is tight without being restrictive through the chest.

I am, however, aware of feeling limited in bending forward - I certainly can't touch my toes, although I could don my fins without trouble. I'm not used to that sensation with my other suits.

A few points:

1) I haven't tried it wet yet as I am considering exchange with Leisure Pro

2) I am used to what feels to me like stretchier neoprene. I normally dive in NZ in a 7mm Beuchat Focea Comfort 2, which really is fantastic and works year round for me (although I was hoping the W3 might work in the NZ summer for me so I could lose some buoyancy). Just comparing the neoprene side by side the Beuchat feels far more stretchy. Presumably you get more stretch in thicker neoprene, although I understand Waterproof prefers less stretchy neoprene for less compression at depth.

3) No-one in NZ seems to stock a W3 yet so I can't try it on at my LDS. In fact Waterproof doesn't have much of a presence in NZ at all it would seem.

I've put it on a few times and sat around my home for about 30 mins (front neck zip UNzipped!) without feeling too restricted, asides from a tight feeling though my lower back when sitting.

What do you think? Worth persevering with a medium, or exchange for a medium/large? I never know how much to allow for neoprene stretch over time. Probably only matches my biological expansion over time! I'm not concerned about the neoprene losing its flex over time, as donning and doffing is no chore.

Thanks

Nick

Nick,

I have a couple of Waterproof wetsuits, 3mm and 5mm. Mine are the former series (Lynx, Capri, etc), which the W3 looks to have replaced, but from what I can see the W3 is sized the same (on the Waterproof USA site the same size charts are used for both series').

They are fantastic suits, as you have noticed :) I have been really happy with mine, and one reason is the wide selection of sizes.

Mine are women's sizes. But, for what it is worth, I found them to be surprisingly short between the neck and crotch (which sounds like what you are describing). Actually, mine fit me fine, but I say "surprisingly" because I am very short-waisted (short torso) and so usually "normal" sized things are too long on me in that dimension. Not the Waterproof. In fact, both of the suits I have (two different sizes as I bought one new and one used) have the longest possible torso dimension and I would not really want them to be shorter.

Anyway, on the sizes, have you seen the detailed size charts? There are many sizes (and "in between" type sizes) and some are longer in the torso than others. I found the sizing chart at Scubatoys to be really handy because you can quickly scan all the sizes to compare (whereas on Waterproof's site you can only see a couple of sizes at a time, so you have to take notes, go back and forth, etc.). For example, in the Men's, it shows that the "Medium plus" size is 2" longer in the torso than the "Medium." It seems like now that you know how the Medium fits you, you would be able to compare the various dimensions on the chart to come up with a (possibly) better fit.

Here is a link to that chart:

Waterproof Wetsut & Drysuit Size Charts

I suppose you would want to double check that there is not something different in NZ sizing as compared to US sizing.

Blue Sparkle

Thanks Blue Sparkle

You are bang on the money there. I think I do have a relatively longer torso.

I looked at the waterproof sizing guide on their site, although I have to say these are even more detailed :) The plus does have the extra length, but is pretty wide thought the hips, waist and chest too. I think the ML would be better on that account. But I do concern myself that I have only one chance to exchange the suit before I leave for Oz, and I don't want to get this wrong.

Not that I anticipate having a slightly loose wetsuit on the GBR would be a disaster for me because I don't really feel the cold much.

About to spend another half hour sitting in my suit and thinking:confused:

I have a Mshort+ Capri and it feels very tight, but fits great at 100 ft. Doesn't restrict any movement, was diving in the caribbean in 84 degree water, had to stretch the collar to let some water in to cool down because none was getting in. It's a great suit.

Very tight in what respect Incognegro? What height are you?

I anticipate fairly limited deep dives on the liveaboard otherwise I'll go over my no deco limits... we are trying to squeeze up to 5 dives a day in :O

Oh I forgot to add I'm writing this in my wetsuit. I think it's stretching a bit and feels more comfy, even sitting on a couch like I am presently. Still contemplating my options....

tight around the chest, i'm on 5'5" 210lbs and had second thoughts about mine when I tried it on, the size chart made it seem larger. but didn't have time to send it back and have a hard time finding one for my size and height. and since I was able to pick it up on clearance from their web site I decide to try it. it turned out to be great.

oh and ive used it on shallow and deep dives

I have had a W3 since the end of January and I love it. I am 6 feet and weigh 190# and wear size XL. It is a little long in the legs and a bit short in the arms, but it is comfortable and keeps me warm and I have no trouble with flexibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom