Any owners of new Waterproof W5 tropical 3.5mm suit (bonus if women's model)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TabeaK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can any owners of Waterproofs 3.5mm W5 redesigned wetsuit chime in about the durability of the suit? The few online reviews I have found are less than favorable - especially about seam quality. W5 - Waterproof Diving

I LOVED my W3 Waterproof wetsuit, but it has reached the end of its life and I am pretty peeved I cannot find it anymore due to the redesign a couple years ago.

I definitely got my money's worth out of the W3 (~300 dives), but with the W5 being fairly expensive and a new design I want to make sure I spend wisely...

I have been using a 3.5mm W5 over a couple of seasons, locally I generally use a 5mm W7 until water temps hit around 27C, so it's not used too much apart from diving in Indonesia.

I'm a big fan of the W7 design with the two built in pockets that are more streamlined compared to the velcro'd baggy pocket on the W5. I wish WaterProof had implemented the W7 pocket design on the 3.5mm.

Apart from that it's fine.

Thank you! I have the prior model 5mm w4 waterproof that is still going strong and love that one too.

I have the w5 3.5mm, and I have had seam issues twice. Once in the ankle cuffs (glued seam came apart), second time a few random seams threads came out but the seams themselves stayed together. Both times it was replaced without question by waterproof. So I basically have just got a free new wetsuit every year 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Once in the ankle cuffs (glued seam came apart), second time a few random seams threads came out but the seams themselves stayed together. Both times it was replaced without question by waterproof.
I spoke with a guy called Henrik from WaterProof when he visited the region recently and he told me that there were some issues with a few of the W7 7mm suits having loose threads too and they were replacing them.

The cause was some new company that was responsible for the stitching..

I have the w5 3.5mm, and I have had seam issues twice. Once in the ankle cuffs (glued seam came apart), second time a few random seams threads came out but the seams themselves stayed together. Both times it was replaced without question by waterproof. So I basically have just got a free new wetsuit every year 🤷🏼‍♂️.
Hmm...not liking to hear that, even if Waterproof did the right thing! After how many dives did you notice issues & does it seem to you this is a general design defect?

Hmm...not liking to hear that, even if Waterproof did the right thing! After how many dives did you notice issues & does it seem to you this is a general design defect?
Both of them after about 30 dives

Both of them after about 30 dives
Thanks!

I got the suite in my size and tried it on yesterday. Have to say I am disappointed. It feel much flimsier than the old model. And the seams already look low quality and it is brand new!!!

Given that it is a premium price product, it is going back. Shame. Seems like Waterproof missed the ball with this one.

Will be looking at a Bare or Scubapro instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom