Waterproof Camera with Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The TG2 in the Oly housing should survive just fine if you have a flood at 140' down. (NOTE very, very rare to see issues with this housing) The main issue with the TG2 is as it goes deeper is not the risk of flooding the camera, it is the pressure on the buttons stop it from working at depth. We had a TG sit in a fish tank for months, and it worked just fine. So short of taking the camera & housing down to 140', opening the housing and taking the camera out, the camera should do fine.

Hi guys, again, thanks for the replies! :)

@Larry C That's a good thing to hear. If you read review from Rob Spray about Olympus TG-1 and its housing "Olympus TG-1 & PT-053 Housing Review | Wex Photographic" there, it has a very good built quality and images. So I believe the TG-2 that more hi-tech than TG-1 has better quality.

@dimac Well it depends on which camera I would like to buy. If I prefer Olympus, I will go with its PTE housing, or maybe Ikelite. And if I choose Canon, I will buy Ikelite (I don't like the WP-DC series).

@flareside I know it man, that's why, as a beginer who are learning by doing, I only make a preparation, if error and leakage happens.

@mjh Hey that's a good news to hear! Well I asked if only the rig flooded in about 130' or deeper. About the button, it only happen when the rig is flooded right? In a normal condition, did olympus PTE housing has problems with buttons in a deep depth, maybe about 140'?

The Oly housings are rated to 140'. They are plastic and deeper dives will stress it. Yes, if you had a big flood at that depth, I'm sure the camera would be flooded as well.
But as the other divers have said, floods mostly happen due to poor maintenance. I have an article on my blog here that will help.

The TG2 is very popular and takes great photos.

Jack

So I will just tag along on this thread rather then creating a new one. I'm interested in peoples opinions with Ikelite cases. I'm looking to buy a case for my Lumix TS5. The official waterproof camera case seems to be sold out everywhere and is also at least $50 more then the Ikelite version. But I don't know to much about that brand. I'm not to concerned about the case flooding since its a waterproof (tough camera) but obviously I still want a quality product. I have taken the camera without a case diving to around 35 feet (its rated to 43), but obviously I want something for deeper dives.

So I will just tag along on this thread rather then creating a new one. I'm interested in peoples opinions with Ikelite cases. I'm looking to buy a case for my Lumix TS5. The official waterproof camera case seems to be sold out everywhere and is also at least $50 more then the Ikelite version. But I don't know to much about that brand. I'm not to concerned about the case flooding since its a waterproof (tough camera) but obviously I still want a quality product. I have taken the camera without a case diving to around 35 feet (its rated to 43), but obviously I want something for deeper dives.

The main difference is a deeper depth rating and metal controls with the Ike. The Ike housing is less ergonomic, controls aren't labeledbut the housing is clear. It's less set up for an external strobe, but not hard to achieve with a little electrical tape on the inside and a velcro connector for the sync cord. Controls on the Ike can be serviced, so it will have a much longer life. The Oly housings are rated to 135' and have a built-in threaded port, some Ike cases do, some don't.

Jack

I'm looking at the Lumix TS5 with the Ike housing myself -- any opinions on the camera itself? i know it doesn't do RAW but i can live with that since i can't find a used case for my nikon D50 Ike or otherwise.
my uses besides above water would be reef & wreck 100' or less in south florida & up at Blue Heron "trying" macro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom