Waterproof Camera with Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaworu

New
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new in underwater photography, and right now I'm looking for my first UW camera.
I do it only for fun and recreational purpose, with no professional intention (someday maybe), so I think I want to buy a compact camera with low budget.

I have tried my friend's Canon S100, and I really like it! It takes good photos even if you use auto. But then suddenly the housing leaked, didn't know what happened then, and the camera was broken.

So I want to ask professional diver here who has lot of experiences in underwater photography. If I bought a waterproof camera, for example Olympus Tough TG-1, and use it with underwater housing (planning to buy Ikelite), what will happen if the housing leaked, or flooded? Will my camera still can work (because of its waterproof feature), or will it be broken? (I assume the housing will hold for "some" pressure so the camera won't break).
I want to buy this Olympus tough camera because of its waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, good enough for a field worker like me, so I can use it when not diving.

Anyone has tried Olympus tough camera for scuba diving UW photography?

Or maybe I should go with GoPro? Any suggestion, recommendation?

Thanks a lot :)

Regards,
John

getting into UW photography i would look out for the canon g seris or the olympus pen range nice topside camera and the olympus housings are very reliable
the photos that you get from a tough would be dissapointing for you !
check out ebay etc , last years models etc very cheap

Your friend must be less than happy with you.

I think the cameras that are water resistant while "naked" probably have a little built-in insurance if they are in a waterproof housing and it leaks, but it's going to depend on how much of a leak and your current depth. Say it starts leaking at 30 feet and you notice it, you can probably make it to the surface and the camera may be fine even if it the housing fully floods (based on it;s claimed 40 foot depth rating). Take the same situation to 90 feet and there's a good chance it'll be just as dead as the Canon, assuming the pressure forces water through the seals that were only designed for 40 feet.

I personally would (and did) go with a camera that is "worth" taking underwater (I've always been very unimpressed by Olympus Tough image quality) and learn how to prep the housing O-ring to minimize the change of leakage.

There are some pretty nice deals on Olympus Pens with Oly housing that may just be in your budget. Excellent quality with room to grow as your skills grow.

As mentioned, you need to pay VERY close attention to the O-ring and the groove it goes in. I clean the groove with a foam makeup brush (like a cotton swab without the cotton) and grease the O-ring every couple days. Use only a small dab of grease between thumb and finger, gently pull the ring along and you can feel any grit.

ALWAYS inspect the O-ring with a magnifying glass and light EVERY time you prepare to close the housing (and also make sure you aren't pinching the O-ring. After each dive, give the housing a soak and work each button - let dry before opening.

D.A.N. has equipment insurance in addition to diver insurance and, in my opinion, worth getting both.

The Olympus TG-2 is a great point & shoot, and has much better image quality than previous models. Mainly because it has a fast f1.8 lens, improved sensor and processor. Takes HD video with stereo sound. Olympus makes a very nice OEM housing for it the PT-053.

I do think it's pretty bulletproof and a good choice for a beginner. But you will out grow it fairly soon, as it doesn't have much in the way of controls for shutter, etc. instead relying on scene modes. That's ok, and gets you there most times, but can be limiting.

A more advanced Olympus camera is the XZ-2 and Olympus housing. While not a Tough water-proof model, it brings the same lens to a slightly bigger sensor and faster processor. It has scene modes, but adds complete controls, RAW capture and 2 user defined custom modes and function buttons. I like the Oly housing better than the Ike as it can take a diopter on directly and has integrated a sync cord plug, labeled buttons and is smaller and lighter.

Right now we have the great Olympus PM1 & housing bundle, offering a smaller PEN slr, housing and zoom gear for $499 - half price! But it does take a little more knowledge, is larger and really requires and external strobe package.

Hope that helps.
Jack

Hi guys thanks for the reply!

@gizmo1972 Yeah I know, I wish I have more money, but Canon G series and Olympus pen series are much more expensive than Canon S100 or Olympus tough. And unfortunately, ebay did not give delivery service to my country. Too bad :(

@CT Sean Hahaha I know, I've read some reviews about the Tough series, and it's good for snorkling, not scuba diving. I think I will go with the Canon then. Thanks man!

@gstrek Too bad Olympus pen series are expensive here, out of my budget, that's why I choose standard compact camera, but with a good quality for underwater photography. Anyway, is it good I use double O-ring? I read somewhere in SB here that he always use double O-ring and never leaked.

@JackConnick So is The Olympus TG-2 is recommended for beginer like me? Will it broke or not if, let's say the housing is broken, in spite of its waterproof feature?

Regards,
John

Don't discount the picture quality of the TG-2. Yesterday, I think it was the 2nd place finisher of the novice wide-angle class in the Monterey Shoot-Out went to a lovely close focus wide angle picture taken with a TG-2. It blew up to wall projector size just fine for the show as well. Even though I shoot a multi-thousand dollar DSLR, I've been considering getting a Tough just for taking pictures on the boat, wading through creeks, climbing waterfalls and the like.

What housing are you planning on purchasing? i've met people who have nice cameras but decided on getting the cheapest housing they could find. Complaints like buttons hard to press at depth, evidence of corrosion can be seen, and buttons not aligned/losing functionality are not uncommon. They all vary in quality/reliability as well

While there have been a few issues with poor housing design/manufacturing noted here on the forum over the years, more often than not leakage is due to user error. Many divers will go their entire life and never have leakage while others won't get through the first month of their new camera. It all comes down to meticulous prep work. Once you get into the rhythm of doing it however, it is not that big of a deal and eventually becomes second nature.

There are plenty of posts here on the forum related to proper prep work and housing care. Search them out, apply them, and you should get many years of use out of your new camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom