Water Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
Personally, I use a 3/2 fullsuit + beanie for temps of 79F and above for boat dives, then shift to a 5mm. For the shallow shore dives, I'll keep using the 3/2 (and less weight to haul down to the beach) down to 77F before going to 5mm + beanie ----- but I'm skewed off towards the warm-water-wuss direction and it sounds like you are quite a bit more tolerant of chilly water.

Charlie Allen

I'll admit it; I'm a warm-water wuss. I'm planning on going to Kauai and Maui in Late January or Mid-February when, according to what I've read, the average water temperature is around 74 degrees. Most of my previous diving has been in the 78 to 86 degree range, except the Channel Islands, where I rented a 7mm suit with a hood. I have a full 3/2 wetsuit and I'm trying to decide whether to add a beanie, full hood, or hooded vest to dive at 74 degrees. Any recommendations are welcome.

eric_in_az:
I have a full 3/2 wetsuit and I'm trying to decide whether to add a beanie, full hood, or hooded vest to dive at 74 degrees. Any recommendations are welcome.
I find that a beanie gives you most the benefit of a full hood or hooded vest, but without the confined feeling the full hoods give me. I don't have much hair up top for insulation, so the beanie helps a lot.

If you are still running chilly on boat dives, the boat can probably supply a 3mm shorty to go on top of your 3/2 fullsuit.

3/2 should be good, but I would add 5 or 7mm boots and a pair of 5mm gloves. You'll likely be ok.

I have never seen anyone wear a hood in Hawaii, but it wouldn't hurt on some of the wall dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom