Water Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PinkPADIgal

PADI Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
It has been a lot of years since I have been to Hawaii. My husband and I are planning on going to Maui in December. I have snorkeled there a lot but this is the first time diving there. I am excited! My question is, what type of suit should I dive in?

I dive and teach Scuba in Puget Sound year round so I am used to cold water. I have also dove in the Atlantic in 74-78 degree water in a full 1mm, and I was fine. In Mexico, USVI and the Keys, I dive a shorty with no problem but water temp, even at 100ft is over 80 degrees. I can dive in 75 degree water in a shorty but multiple dives for a few days I think I may get cold. I do not want to wear a hood or gloves. I am diving in Hawaii to get away from all the thermal protection.

I have 3mm full suit, 1mm full suit, 2mm and 3mm shorties. What should I dive in? I plan on doing boat and shore dives, some night diving and hopefully do a few dives 100 ft or deeper. What is water temp in Maui in December? I have heard that it gets a lot colder the deeper you go. If I hit 100-130 ft, am I going to want my dry suit? My guess that a 5 or 7mm will be overkill but I would like feedback.

Thanks!

Last December I think it was 79-81*f.

Temperature varies little at depth over here (what's a thermocline? lol)

Have fun while over here :D

Aloha, Tim

Wow, last time I was on Maui in December the water was like 75-76 degrees! Tim, is 79-81 normal for December with my experience being an anomoly??

Amy, from your history it sounds like you might be fine in a 3mm full suit. My husband and I will be on Maui in December and will dive at least 2-3x a day for 8 days. I plan to wear my 5mm full and my husband will wear his 3mm full with a 3mm vest for layering. I don't know where you heard that the water gets colder as you get deeper, but Tim's 100% right (of course), there's no difference in water temperature top to bottom....well, at least within recreational dive limits. :wink:

When will you be on island?

It sounds like you are pretty tolerant of cold (75F!!!) temps, so I'd recommend bringing both the 3mm and the 1mm. Use the 1mm for shore dives, the 3mm for the boat dives which are deeper and compress the wetsuit more.

In the December the water will probably be around 78-79F. You can PM Tim or call the dive ops just before you leave to get the current temp. In December, the water will still be cooling off from the summer highs, and won't get down to the lowest temps of 74F or so until around February.

As Tim noted, the water around Maui is well stirred and shaken, so there isn't any thermocline in the first 200' feet.

Personally, I use a 3/2 fullsuit + beanie for temps of 79F and above for boat dives, then shift to a 5mm. For the shallow shore dives, I'll keep using the 3/2 (and less weight to haul down to the beach) down to 77F before going to 5mm + beanie ----- but I'm skewed off towards the warm-water-wuss direction and it sounds like you are quite a bit more tolerant of chilly water.

Charlie Allen

My mistake DiveMaven - I went back and checked my computer logs for the past 2 Decembers and it was 77-79* (except for that 55* reading ... course that was diving out of state lol)

Aloha, Tim

Thanks for checking Tim.....though for me it won't change anything since I'll still be diving in my 5mm full!! :wink:

Thanks everyone...I think I will just take a 3mm suit with me. I was diving in a centoe in Mexico last month in my shorty and the water was 75 degrees. It was a bit cold but I was comfortable for about 45 minutes we were down. I think I would be ok in a shorty but after a couple of days diving, I will start to get cold. The hood and gloves are not going though.

I am actually looking at getting a XCEL Hydrospan 3.0. I love the material and I think it will fit better than my standard 3mm. Anyone dive this suit?

76-79 for all of my dives out there, Normally wore a 3mm shortie, but at the end of the dive I was always a little chilly, I would recommend a 3mm full suit. I know a couple of people (mostly ladies) who prefer a 5mm full suit.

Back
Top Bottom