Water temps Dec/Jan???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Last time I was in Hawaii (this past April) I was comfortable in a 7mm wetsuit. The water temps were in the low 70's. I'm on my way there again in a few days and wonder what the current temps are like so that I can figure out which wetsuit to pack. I'll only dive the Big Island this time, if that makes any difference.

We've been seeing 79 a couple of days back, but the northwest swells are coming in. If we get a big one it can take it down a degree and a half, several of them back to back can knock it down quickly. I try to keep the current temp posted on my blog, linked below in my signature, if you are interested.

My best guess, if your profile is relatively current (photo indicating size and gender, diving numbers, location), being used to warmer waters and diving frequently you'd probably better bring that 7 mil again. I'm getting cool in a 3 mil diving frequently, and I'm packing 215-225 pounds around, I'm thinking 5 mil for me this year come mid to late January (January/February?early March being our coldest times).

The Big Island does seem to be a degree or two warmenr than Oahu or Kauai most of the time, but coming inot the cooler part of the year it's better to be safe than sorry.

Aloha,

It's still pretty warm here on Maui. We were comfy in our 3mm full suits today and the water was about 77. I have the new wetsuit heaters and I didn't even bother with them today. They work good though and I expect to use them with my 3mm a lot over the next two or three months!!

Maven and Doug, grateful for the input. Jimbo, "natural" insulation doesn't seem to help me at all so no 3 mm will go into my gear bag this trip!

Steve, thanks for the guess. (And yes, my profile is up-to-date.)
Yeah, it's funny how diving all the time makes you get chilled more easily. I wear a 3/2 here in water about 85° to 88° while students dive in just their swimwear and a t-shirt.

I'll watch your blog space, but have to pack today! I may get in touch when I'm in Kona, but I'll have a whole platoon of relatives around (the annual gathering), so it just depends on how things go.

scuberd:
Water temp here in California is around 52,

can't wait to be in Oahu in January.

My daughter (who like you, suberd, lives in Santa Cruz) will join me in Hawaii for diving in what to her is "warm" water and to me will be "cool", LOL.

I had 44 on my computer on the surface yesterday but then again I'm not diving maui :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom