Water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevin316

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have an opportunity to get an Aqualung Legend for a good price but they are only good rated for 10C or above. I'm an Alberta boy so for lakes around here and trips south in the winter it would be great but how about the Vancouver area in the summer. What are the water temperatures in some of the nicer diving spots around there in July or August?

A member of our dive club in Dartmouth uses a Legend. He's ice diving with it tomorrow with my youngest son (ice diving is warmer than diving in the North Atlantic right now). I don't think he has had any problems and the water temperature here is usually 20 degrees F colder than Vancouver.

I have an opportunity to get an Aqualung Legend for a good price but they are only good rated for 10C or above. I'm an Alberta boy so for lakes around here and trips south in the winter it would be great but how about the Vancouver area in the summer. What are the water temperatures in some of the nicer diving spots around there in July or August?

The lakes here are colder than the BC coast.

(Twin lakes is 38F at depth in the middle of summer.)

No worries about it on the coast...a lot of people here use the regular ole Titans not the LX or the Supreme for commercial work.
Good luck,
U/O

I dive with different Aqualung Legend since 2000 - it's the best regulator I've tried. Prior use I always ask a certified serviceman, decrease the chamber's pressure down to 8.5 bar - it lowers the risk of free-flow in cold water. Also it does not affect the easiness of breathing at all or very little. Last three years I dive with my Legends LX (not Supreme) in fresh and salt water at the temperatures as low as +4C (39.2 Fahrenheit) and never had a free-flow.

I've carefully studied the Aqualung Supreme and non-Supreme question many years ago. The only real differences between Aqualung LX and LX Supreme are

- lower chamber's pressure - LX Supreme comes set to 8-9 bar vs. 10-12 bar for LX model
- Supreme LX has slightly bigger 2nd stage heat exchanger
- silvery cap on Supreme's first stage
- silvery decorative ring attached to Supreme's second stage vs. gold for LX
- snowflake engraved on Supreme's second stage
- a very small part (piston) inside of Supreme LX second stage is made of metal, not plastic as in regular LX. (as practice shows that's not really important)

That's it. At the extremely low temperatures - -1C..0..-2C, any regulator has a very high risk of freeflow. There are some precautions and best practices that allows to decrease it.

Thanks for the info guys. Jeff, what are you calling depth? I didn't know the lakes would be that cold. I know I have seen people talk about a lake (I think it was twin lakes) and there is a thermal at 60' and the temperature plummets. What have you seen in other lakes, like the ones around Jasper (the names elude me right now)?

DCBC:
I don't think he has had any problems and the water temperature here is usually 20 degrees F colder than Vancouver.
20 degrees? That doesn't sound right. 52 degrees F is warm for Vancouver which would make the East coast right at the freezing point. At least I hope that isn't right, because I'll be visiting the Halifax area this August and, well, brrr.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom