Water temp question for a out of towner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all !!

Looking forward to visiting NoCal in Late Sept. We wanted to stop by Point Lobos

Im a little worried about the water tempature. Im about 6'1 and very skinny. I tend to get very uncomfortable around the low 60s wearing a 5 mil overal with a 5 mil coat on top (farmer john), 5 hood, 5 boots, and gloves. Basically its 5mm for anything under knees and entire arm. The core is ten

Most of my diving has been in Pennsylvania quarries and Florida springs

Some people say just suck it up but i truly get uncomfortable and i believe that my decision making process is not the best when I am that cold.

I wont be going deeper then 40 even if that.

Should I look into a dry suit rental? Is dry suit training required for rentals?

If the dry suite is not an option based on my personal threshold should I hang up the reg for the trip?

thanks for the help

Lots of shops around here rent 7mm wetsuits (one-piece and farmer-john style)...
I'd say most people diving in Monterey are either diving dry, or with 7mm wetsuits.

You can expect water temps to be somewhere from 48-52F.

For a drysuit - I think one of the few places that rents them is Wallins Dive Center in Redwood City. And yes, they require cert before they rent them out.

I wouldn't hang up the reg (nicely put by the way). Just make sure that you get all neoprene'd up for it. Most people find they are all right in a 2 piece, 7mm Farmer John. Bring your boots, hood and gloves. Bring a warm coat for your surface interval, try to stay out of the wind, etc. Have some warm soup, etc. Do your best to keep warm during the SI.

And, most importantly, let us know when you'll be there if you want to see if any of us can join you! We're a friendly crowd. :)

What Sarah said. Those who say, "just suck it up" are giving very bad advice. The 2-piece farmer john 7mm wetsuits with gloves, boots, and 7mm+ hood should be enough. But definitely not 5mm.

As a fairly skinny guy, I'd say a 7mm farmer john makes 50 degree water tolerable for two dives - I'm cold after the first dive, reluctant after the surface interval, and pretty well chilled after the second dive. But it never stopped me from going out. I would not recommend going out with anything less than 7mm though, and many of my friends get quite cold in one-piece 7-8-9 "semi-drys."

Wallins is the only shop I know of that rents drysuits. Certification is definitely a prereq, but also keep in mind that it's not a local shop. It's in San Carlos/Redwood City, which is closer to San Francisco than Monterey (a 1.5 hour drive away).

Diver Dan's in Santa Clara / San Jose also rents drysuits (DUI TLS350 I believe) but I'm guessing you'd need a cert to rent, and in any event they're not much closer to Monterey than Wallin's is -- still more than an hour+ drive away.

From the people I know that have rented from both Diver Dan's and MBDC, for Men MBDC seems to have better suits, and for women Diver Dans.

Take a dry suit class when come out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom