Water in the ears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water in ear after dive. Just this past weekend I was told that I should put drops of alcohol in my ear, let that drain out and then put peroxide in and do the same. I didn't try it because I wanted to check it out first. How does it compare to the vinegar recipe given in this thread?

ALCOHOL: YMMV, but I find that high percentage alcohol mixtures like the commerical products (Swim Ear, Aqua Dry, etc.) or just straight 90% isopropyl alcohol are good helping to clear out water stuck in the ear. Put in the alcohol, and then after just a few seconds dump it back out, before it starts to irritate the ear too much. I usually first remove any large quantities of water by simply rolling up the corner of a kleenex and inserting it into the ear canal as a wick. For me at least, water getting stuck in the ear is a problem only if I have excessive wax or lots a dead flakey skin in my ears.

ALCOHOL and VINEGAR: The alcohol and vinegar mixture is meant to be left in the ear for 5 minutes or more, so it will saturate the skin lining the ear canal. This lowers the pH and makes is a less hospitable environment for bacterial growth.

HAIR DRYER: A few times, when I've been sloppy and left water trapped in my ear overnight or longer and started having a bit of irritation, using alcohol to dry out the ear, and then a hair dryer to finish the drying process has been able to get it so my body can halt the infection before it gets too bad. There is a commercial battery powered product, the Sahara DryEar for drying the ears with warm air.

Don't Wait Too Long Before Seeing the Doctor: The normal treatment for outer ear infections is simple --- combination antibiotic + hydrocotisone drops for a week or so. If your ears are bothering you and don't clear up in a couple of days, then it's better to head on over to the doctor or clinic early rather than waiting until you have a full blown infection and severe ear pain.

Charlie Allen

p.s. Having had excellent results with vinegar and alcohol as an ear treatment, I have started using it on normal scrapes and scratches as an alternative to Neosporin or iodine or whatever is sold nowdays in place of mecurichrome. Put it on the scratch and let it soak for a while. Works great!

Water in ear after dive. Just this past weekend I was told that I should put drops of alcohol in my ear, let that drain out and then put peroxide in and do the same. I didn't try it because I wanted to check it out first. How does it compare to the vinegar recipe given in this thread?
The alcohol-vinegar mix is the most popular, as supported by DAN, many physicians here on SB, and my grandson's ear doc.

I don't know where the idea that adding hydrogen peroxide to ears might be a good one came from, but from many readings here on SB: It is not; actually a bad one.

Since the feeling of fullness in the ears is often a sinus congestion issue (including eustachian tubes). I wonder what the medical advisers on this thread would think of the use of decongestants such as Sudaphed or Affrin after diving?

Hi edylchtims,

For the diver concerned with preventing infection of the outer ear (external auditory canal), there is a very good article in the Mar/Apr '07 issue of Alert Diver Magazine entitled:

Preventing Swimmer's Ear
http://www.awoosh.com/DocVikingo/Preventing_Swimmers_Ear.htm

The piece indicates that the use of hydrogen peroxide is NOT recommended as it can prove excessively drying and end up making matters worse.

Helpful?

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

I suffer from the same fullness/popping effect that starts around the 2nd day on a liveaboard and stays with me for about 2 weeks afterward. I went to my ENT and he verified no barotrauma. It's always a concern for me since I lost 100% of my hearing in my right ear 10 years ago (not diving related-idiopathic sudden sensorineural). Although the hearing loss had manifested itself as a feeling of fullness and occasional hearing loss for a few minutes at a time. FElt like when you re trying to equalize under water and the ears pop. I would have to contort my head to get it to "pop". I had never even dove up to that point.

My ENT suggests that on my next trip that I try the following: Make sure I continue to take my Allegra (I don't take it when I'm on vacation because I am away from the allergen-my cat), use a saline nasal wash after each dive, and use a corticosteroid nasal spray he prescribed. He has no idea if it will work, but if the problem is related to my allergy/sinus issues or to PH imbalance caused by the salt water, then he thinks it might help or at least rule it out.

I do descend rather quickly so I need to also try going a little slower. Those pro plugs weren't an option. He absolutely forbid me to even try them :) But if they are cheap I might try them for a couple of dives since my ear structures are intact and I do equalize anyway.

Hi scubamickey,

Sensations of fullness and of popping or crackling within the ear generally are the result of fluid or congestion within the middle ear. Fluids may enter the middle ear space by backing up the Eustachian tube from its nasopharyngeal opening in the throat. Also, repeated equalizations of the middle ear space, especially if difficult or overly vigorous, can result in the accumulation of blood and other bodily fluids that typically are released at sites of trauma and irritation. As such, Doc's Proplugs, which reduce the amount of water entering the external ear, are very unlikely to be of benefit.

Given the symptoms described, following an ENT's recommendation to use Allegra (Allegra-D may be preferable), a saline nasal wash after each dive (using it pre-dive may yield better results; *see my article below from the current (Mar '08) issue of Undercurrent), and a prescription corticosteroid nasal spray appears to be very a sensible initial approach to controlling the condition.

Also, equalizing early (as in just before entering the water), often and gently also reduce abuse of the middle ear while diving.

As an aside, the cost of Doc's Proplugs varies considerably depending upon where they are purchased. The least expensive I was able to find was $10 (Doc's Proplugs Doc's Pro Plugs Vented and other Kayak Helmets).

Helpful?

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

* "Shooting Saltwater Up Your Nose

Is your nose stuffed up enough that diving isn’t appealing, or even to the point where congestion may dangerously interfere with equalization of the ears? It may sound a bit zany and gross, but the evidence, both published and anecdotal, largely supports the salubrious effects of saline irrigation on both nasal membrane drying and congestion (e.g., from long airplane flights, breathing hyper-dry scuba gasses and allergens). Such irrigation shrinks the mucus blanket and flushes out the excess, reducing nasal irritation and swelling.

There are scores of salt-based OTC nasal washes on the market such as Sinucleanse, BreathEase and an array of NeilMed products. Many come with a soft syringe. Or you can purchase special tips that attach to oral hygiene devices (e.g., the WaterPik NA-2Gentle Sinus Rinse).

Many divers choose a simple home remedy that is cheaper and works just as well. Boil two cups of tap water for 10 minutes, stir in one teaspoon of salt (refined sea salt is recommended to avoid additives) and one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Adding more salt than recommended can do more harm than good, so don’t overdo it. After the brew has cooled to lukewarm, draw it into a clean nasal or ear syringe until full, then lean over the sink, squeeze gently and allow the solution to run through the nasal passages. Sniff it in, spit it out, then gently blow your nose. Repeat with the second nostril.

Again, don’t overdo it - - one or two treatments a day should be sufficient. And go make your next dive. - - Doc Vikingo" (Scuba Diving Magazine for Serious Divers, Undercurrent Reviews Dive Resorts and Scuba Diving Equipment)

TSandM nailed it.

If your ears feel like they are flooded, it's most likely middle ear barotrauma. This can result in reverse block, and middle ear damage.

Clear early, clear when you don't think you need to. I clear almost non stop in the first 35 feet, and then less often as I descend, but still quite often.

I had this happen at the end of a trip to Coz while chasing around a Grouper hunting with a free swimming Moray. I was not paying enough attention to my ears. It was not a bad case, but I did have some reverse block on one dive, and had to take it really slow going up.

If you do get reverse block, sometimes clearing can help, but not always. Reverse block is kinda scary as you can't stay down, and it hurts to go up.

As others have said, ear drops may help for just general ear health, but it will not fix this issue if you are getting some middle ear barotrauma.

As a kid, I used to dive to the bottom of 10 ft deep pools a lot, swim along the bottom to the shallow end for fun, or playing a game we called "Submarine" (it was more fun to be a depth charge, but we took turns), and I never felt a need to equalize. Well, I didn't know what that was really, just never felt any pain, so while the mild injuries I possibly did weren't noticable then - I often had a clogged feeling for some hours later, until I felt my ears relax. Felt like water in the ears, but nothing ever shook out; it just cleared up.

Natural abilities of equalizing are different for many of us. Now I understand from reading TSandM's descriptions that those too were just very mild injuries that cleared quickly as a child.

As suggested by Ron and others, clear early and often especially the first 35 feet. Clearing on the boat before entering is often suggested, clearing the day before dives is at times, the videos has helped many, and follow doctors orders on decongestants, antihistamines, and whatever else they may include - even if that means consulting a physician for the first time.

Hi scubamickey,

Sensations of fullness and of popping or crackling within the ear generally are the result of fluid or congestion within the middle ear. Fluids may enter the middle ear space by backing up the Eustachian tube from its nasopharyngeal opening in the throat. Also, repeated equalizations of the middle ear space, especially if difficult or overly vigorous, can result in the accumulation of blood and other bodily fluids that typically are released at sites of trauma and irritation. As such, Doc's Proplugs, which reduce the amount of water entering the external ear, are very unlikely to be of benefit.

Given the symptoms described, following an ENT's recommendation to use Allegra (Allegra-D may be preferable), a saline nasal wash after each dive (using it pre-dive may yield better results; *see my article below from the current (Mar '08) issue of Undercurrent), and a prescription corticosteroid nasal spray appears to be very a sensible initial approach to controlling the condition.

Also, equalizing early (as in just before entering the water), often and gently also reduce abuse of the middle ear while diving.

As an aside, the cost of Doc's Proplugs varies considerably depending upon where they are purchased. The least expensive I was able to find was $10 (Doc's Proplugs Doc's Pro Plugs Vented and other Kayak Helmets).

Helpful?

Yes very, thank you. Looking over my notes, he did say to use the nasal wash pre-dive. I misspoke. It does help to know that you don't think that his suggestions are "out there". The other thing I think I will do on the next big trip in June is to go see a doctor while I'm on vacation if the symptoms return. I'll be on Saba so it should be relatively easy to find a doctor with dive expertise since the recompression chamber and the medical school are right there. Just to really rule out barotrauma that might have healed by the time I saw my ENT. Although I am still inclined to think that my problem is related to a histamine problem given my allergy history.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will post again on this topic this summer.

Irene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom