Water in the ears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The plugs are made of resilient silicone and they are perforated. This limits the amount of water entering your ear, but still permits equalization. Below 20 ft. some water will enter the space behind the earplug, but it is greatly limited by them.

I think I'll just keep shaking. Water only enters my ears at the water line - when the ear opening is half submerged so air can be exchanged for water. Something which lets water in at depth where I've never had water enter my ear in sounds worse to me - and probably would sound even worse once I emerged and started moving my head around :)

This turned into a great thread. Funny, I was at the LDS and saw the Doc's Proplugs. I bought a pair. I'll let you know how they work when I get back from Belize....

NancyLynn,

Your outer ear canal floods completely when you submerge your head. Doc's Pro Plugs will not cause any sort of extra water entry into your ear.

They will limit the amount of water entering your external ear canal, that's all I wrote in my post.

I've used Doc's plugs and like them. My perception is that I can equalize more easily, though I suspect in actuality it's that the ice cold water isn't hitting my inner ear and causing it to numb up so I can feel what's going on better.

In any case they do work well.

However, since this happens "after 3 or 4 days" I suspect what you are experiencing is actually mild barotrauma of the inner or middle ear. Equalize more frequently, including pre-equalizing before your dive. Watch your ascent and descent rates, and make it a point to equalize before you feel you need to.

NancyLynn,

Your outer ear canal floods completely when you submerge your head. Doc's Pro Plugs will not cause any sort of extra water entry into your ear.

They will limit the amount of water entering your external ear canal, that's all I wrote in my post.

Not quite. What you wrote was,
Below 20 ft. some water will enter the space behind the earplug

I don't believe when I submerge my head that any space I would describe as "behind the earplug" collects water in it currently - so that comment sounds to me like water coming in when I never had a problem with it before.

Aside from when my head is at an angle as it enters the water (allowing the air and water to trade places), I believe the air bubble keeps the water out. (I may be wrong - I'll check next week :) ) But it was that comment is what I was reacting to - since the only time I am aware of that water currently comes in is when my ear canal crosses the water line.

And I'll be down the road in Beliz the 2nd...... :)

Outer ears only - my doctor recommended thoroughly cleaning the outer ear before commencing diving (syringing if necessary); dripping olive oil into the ear canal before a dive, so that it reaches the eardrum; thoroughly rinsing each with fresh water immediately after a dive and before the water has had a chance to dry out (especially important in sea water); then dripping isppropyl alcohol into each ear so it reaches the eardrum.

Seems to work for me. But early, frequent and gentle equalising is also important. If you feel you may be starting congestion in the middle ear it's important to clear it early on, not allowing it to develop. A hot curry often does the job, but otherwise there are various inhalants that also help a lot. My favourite is "Friar's Balsam", but I'm not sure if that's reached the Americas? Otherwise I think there are Vicks products, and probably others.

If you allow congestion to develop and then go diving, the congestion gets forced into the middle ear and can cause untold misery.

Nancylynn, hadn't checked this thread for a bit.

My description of the function of Doc's Pro Plugs was that they maintain an air space in your outer ear canal. Eg. between the ear plug and the outer face of your eardrum. This part of your ear would normally flood when you submerge your ears. The earplug will flex, permitting the bubble between the ear plug and your eardrum to compress and equalize with the ambient pressure. According to the Doc's Pro Plug product description, this bubble will be maintained down to 20 ft. Beyond 20 ft. some water will enter the space between the ear plug and your eardrum. This is why the ear plug would not be appropriated for some one with a perforated eardrum.

Hope you had a wonderful time in Cozumel. I was there the week we invaded Iraq. It was a good, though strange time to be there.

Hope you had a wonderful time in Cozumel.

Had a great time! 15 dives, about 10 hours underwater. Saw two green morays - with heads about 12" across, a few flounders. Almost had my fill of diving for a while.

I did get some water in my ear at depth (although the primary time it goes in is when my ear canal passes the water surface). Shakes out the same, regardless of how deep I am when it goes in :D

OK, just got back from Belize (22 dives, including the Blue Hole (138ft)). Bottom line is I will never dive without these again. Didn't use them on one dive and could feel the cold water enter my ear canal. I had zero ear problems, awesome product....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom