Water in the ear but not really

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
I never took much attention to it. But every time after diving everything is perfect but on the next day I think I have a little bit water in my ear (no I don't know if it is one or both). I always thought that I just didn't notice it on the day before.
But in fact the day before there is nothing, on the next day it feels exactly as there is a little bit water in the ear. That stops than after some time (I think 1-2 days). just some sound like in the ear.
What is that?

Probly mild barotrauma.

Yes, very possible.

Another possibility is earwax, which can keep water from fully draining from the ear for a day or two. Bony growths in the ear canal (exostoses, or "surfer's ear") can make it harder for water to drain as well, especially if there is also impacted earwax.

Might be worth having someone take a look, since these are things that can be fixed...

Yes, very possible.

Another possibility is earwax, which can keep water from fully draining from the ear for a day or two. Bony growths in the ear canal (exostoses, or "surfer's ear") can make it harder for water to drain as well, especially if there is also impacted earwax.

Might be worth having someone take a look, since these are things that can be fixed...
Yep, that would be prudent. I jump to the most common problem too fast. Damn "surfer's ear" looks horrible...

I do have extreme amounts of earwax, which is always surprising everyone, specially in one ear, my mother told me that I have this since I had a very bad infection as child (I am now 37).
But I never have that problem on the evening after I come back from diving. It always starts on the next day. So my idea (and correct me if it does not sound probably) is that I get a very mild barotrauma and over night some secret is building up in the middle ear.
if it would be trapped water I would have the problem on the evening, direct after the dive.
I don't think I have a surfers-ear as I had a doc look in my ears a while ago.
Actually I have no "problem", just a clicking sound for 1-2 days.

So my idea (and correct me if it does not sound probably) is that I get a very mild barotrauma and over night some secret is building up in the middle ear.
Actually I have no "problem", just a clicking sound for 1-2 days.

Possible, but barotrauma should also not be delayed. Swimmer's ear can take a little while to develop, though...

You could figure it out by having an ENT doctor check your ears and hearing during that time period...

First thing I'll try is that I'll try to equalize (spelling??) a lot more often and post if there is any difference.
Are you using alcohol-vinegar mix after diving to prevent Swimmers Ear infections?

Not interested in getting a physician to look...?

Are you using alcohol-vinegar mix after diving to prevent Swimmers Ear infections?

Yes, that can work, but it can also sting pretty badly once swimmer's ear sets in. Sometimes you need an ear drop with antibiotics and steroids to get the inflammation to settle down.

Here is something that I recommend for people who are prone to swimmer's ear, once the ears have been checked and I know that there isn't a problem with wax, surfer's ear, barotrauma, eardrum perforation, etc...

Back
Top Bottom