Water in SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
50 dives on it. What’s the most likely reason the water got in? It’s attached to an Apeks XTX first stage.

Forum search says it can happen from rinsing it without a dust cover on but someone else says that’s not a problem.

IMG_0396.jpeg

Nice. Thanks.

The good news is it’s under warranty and a replacement was sent within 10 minutes of emailing DGX.

Question: if you were on a foreign dive trip and this happened on day one of 8 would keep using it if you couldn’t find a replacement?

Nice. Thanks.

The good news is it’s under warranty and a replacement was sent within 10 minutes of emailing DGX.

Question: if you were on a foreign dive trip and this happened on day one of 8 would keep using it if you couldn’t find a replacement?

Yay for warranties!

I would definitely 100% NOT use it. The SPG is, by necessity, exposed to the full tank pressure, and if it has a mechanical flaw, it can blow up. However, what I would do (and recommend everybody do when planning an 8 day expedition to someplace that is so remote, they don't sell SPGs), is to have a backup SPG in your save-a-dive kit, along with every size o-ring, some zip ties, bolt snaps, bungee cord etc. In fact, why not do that even where you normally dive...

... Question: if you were on a foreign dive trip and this happened on day one of 8 would keep using it if you couldn’t find a replacement?
You might keep a spare SPG in your save-a-dive kit. Alternately, you might take a "complete" second reg (1st stage, IP hose, 2nd stage, HP hose, and SPG, but no octopus) with you on your trip--the better option, I think, since this option leaves you with a lesser chance of losing out on a dive.

rx7diver

Nice. Thanks.

If it is fresh water, it won't hurt a thing. I have one that is half full of water that I have been diving that way for at least years. If it is saltwater, it will eventually start eating the faceplate until you can't read the numbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom