Water in ear... Can't equalize. Help!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeachJunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, well tonight during my pool dives we were down in the deep end on working on boyancy and practicing our skills. We were taking our time, getting the hang of it and just enjoying ourselves. My instructor started doing flips in the water, then hung upside down with his arms out staying completely verticle and level in the water. This, was too cool. I was picking everything up really well and was getting bored sitting indian style in the middle of the pool just floating, so... I thought I'd give it a shot. As I flipped upside down, my right ear got water into it. After trying (and not being anywhere near as graceful as he was at it) I leveled back out and dropped down a little lower in the pool. When I tried to equalize, I couldn't do it. I continued to build a small, yet rather annoying pain in my ear for the rest of the time we were under. When we surfaced I tried to equalize again but couldn't. Eventually about ten minutes later when we decided to go back down and practice some more things to make sure were were comfortable with them, I tried again and had no luck. Eventually on my way back down to the deep end I was able to finally equalize.I hadn't had any trouble at all on any other pool dives or times other than when the water was in my ear. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? I had to bang my head against my hand on the surface to finally get the water to come out. Anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to fix this, or keep the water from getting into my ears? (probably by not flipping upside down huh?) Thanks...

BeachJunkie

Water in the outer ear canel should have nothing to do with equalizing internal ear pressure. The only way to keep water out of your outer ear canel is to not get in the water.

N

I know what you mean in my 3rd confined water pool dive i got my right ear water clogged and could not equalize it for about 4-5 mins then when i went up a few feet i could, always equalize to make sure you can before you get in the water and again a couple of feet down, and so on.

I think it may feel like water in the ear, but that will not prevent equalizing. Overall ear care and conditioning is important to diving.

UWTV Program: The Diver's Ear: Under Pressure video is an excellent tutorial: here

I really do wonder why Insts don't required it for OW class...?
confused-smiley-013.gif

I did my first open water dive at the quarry today without any problems. Everything went well and I had an absolute blast! Still got the water in my ear though. I'm wondering if its from a previous injury that I got in Iraq. It had healed and I haven't had any problems with it. I can still equalize. Its just kind of a weird feeling to get used to. Have to bang my head against my palm or my pillow to get it to come out. Oh well.

I have found that taking a sinus pill the NIGHT BEFORE diving helps a lot. Do not take one just before diving, as it can wear off and cause injury, but if you're a person who has sinus problems or a smoker who tends to accumulate mucous, a sinus pill the night before can eliminate problems equalizing.

Did any of y'all try the video?

I would not recommend pills or medications without a doctors approval for diving purposes even if they are over the counter. You have no idea the consequences of such "pills" at depth, how they might interact with nitrogen narcosis for example. Read many of them and they say things like "do not operate machinery" or "may cause drowsiness"--yeah--that should be good for you at 130 feet on that bottomless wall.

Pills are for wusses, buck up, walk it off, no pills, N is a pill free zone.

Speaking of bottomless and that, totally unrelated, I was an attendee at a Discover Scuba Day and there was a lady with a string tie bikini. Has anyone considered the consequences of strings that tie and scuba activities, apparently not. Perhaps those strings should be replaced with nylon ties and bolt snaps or something, oh well, live an learn. Same with pills.

N

I believe that the norm is to have water in your ear canal. What will prevent equalization is actually having air from your reg's, or air trapped inside your wetsuit hood. It is possible when you tried this flip that you filled your ear with some of your regulator exhaust. The best way to get rid of this would be to tilt the problem ear towards the surface allowing the water back in. Or in the case of hood, pull the seal back so water can get in.

Otherwise, you have gone down to far without equalizing and you should ascent such a amount you can equalize properly. Also you should watch the video that DandyDon suggested, it is very well done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom