Water collecting in suit, but not draining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Somewhat related to exposure suit, since I think it's what is causing the problem.

I have a Mares 2nd Skin 6mm (which I love), but I've found that since using it, water is collecting in my boots, all the way to my shins, but not draining.

The 2nd Skin has two layers. A tight layer that goes around my ankle, and then the top layer with the zipper. I zip my boots up between the two layers, so it goes: ankle-> inner layer -> boot-> outer zip layer.

Any ideas, or am I doing something wrong?

No issues in the water... I actually have perfect buoyancy with this suit and with less weight than usual. I just noticed the first time after the dive, my feet felt heavier than normal, but it was all water.

Because you tuck the inner dry-seal part of the leg openings/cuffs of the exposure suit into the tops of your boots, the water draining from the rest of the suit will pool up in the lower leg part of the suit and not find an easy exit because of the tightness of the cuff zipped up under the boot and around your ankle, and whatever water does find its way out will go into boot and pool up inside it, leaving you standing in very squishy and heavy boots. You can either just dump the water out once you're on the surface or you can try putting the cuff of the suit over the top of the boot instead of zipping the dry seal part inside the boot.

Here's a picture of what happens. In this image the diver on the right has the wetsuit zipped under the boots while the other two have theirs over the boots. The water has collected in the legs of only the one with the wetsuit inside the boots.
FullSuit.jpg

Last edited:
The boots should be snug enough that they don't hold any appreciable water. However if the cuff of the legs are tight or you have rolled neoprene socks into a labyrinth seal then water will be retained. As odd as it seems this is evidence of a wicked good fit especially if you have good circulation and warm feet. Don't worry, be happy.

Pete

Sounds like the legs are draining into the boots. Either make sure leg portion of suit is outside the boot, or cut a little hole in the toe or heel of the boot. :wink:

Sounds like the legs are draining into the boots. Either make sure leg portion of suit is outside the boot, or cut a little hole in the toe or heel of the boot. :wink:

Geez, don't go cutting any holes in boots, that'll be like pins and needles in cold water.

Thanks for all the suggestions... I have a dive this weekend, so I'll give it a go, and see what happens.

Sounds like you have a good fit on the wetsuit. After all, the less the water flows in and out of your wetsuit, the warmer you are. You can put the suit on the outside of the boot, but that might cause the seal to be broken and allow water to flow in during the dive. I wouldn't worry about it and just dump the "water" when you get out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom