Water as weight rather than lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I reported aboard the fast attack submarine U.S.S. Greenling (SSN 614) in April 1977, just a few weeks after she entered Charleston Naval Shipyard for a refueling overhaul. 20 months later on sea trials we were unable to dive, even after flooding all tanks (trim tanks, sanitaries, etc).
We ended up taking on about 20000 lbs of lead ballast on return to port which was still on board left I left the boat in 1981.

Lead is the densest material there is that's not radioactive, so neither water nor gold nor anything else besides bismuth, polonium, etc... will work as well as lead. (and rock/sand which is mostly silicon will not work nearly as well).

Wrong. Lead has a density of 11.35 g/cm3. Gold a density of 19.32, and Platinum 21.45. None of those are radioactive.

However, lead is the best combination of price, density and other properties (softness, melting point, etc.)

I will go out now and buy some platinum weights. I just don't want to think what I will do when I'll need to drop the weights in the sea (i never had this need until now, but I bet I will need it as soon as my weights will be gold or platinum) :)

Wrong. Lead has a density of 11.35 g/cm3. Gold a density of 19.32, and Platinum 21.45. None of those are radioactive.

However, lead is the best combination of price, density and other properties (softness, melting point, etc.)

If Monty Python is right, and witches float, then how many jugs of salt water does it take for two witches and a duck to dive in fresh water. Assuming the jugs are neutral, the duck has an aluminium 63 and its not a full moon.

For this answer you have to know 2 things:

1. What size of the jug are you using?

2. Is it a male or female duck?

Assuming a standard 32oz size jug, and a male mallard duck w/aluminum 63, I would say 15 jugs.
6 for each witch, 1 for the duck (since witches and ducks weigh the same yet ducks are roughly 1/6th the size of a witch and displace less water than a witch) and 2 jugs for the aluminum 63.

Of course a full moon would completely render these calculations useless but you get the point.

I love science:dork2:

***Edit*** I just realized this thread was 4 years old, who's the idiot now...me:rofl3:

Using water as weights wouldn't work (we learned this a while back in science class) but if you used a liquid that is denser than water it would work.

The teacher showed us first with an egg in salt water and then in freshwater. Then he put a ball of fresh water and put it into the glass of salt, etc. He finally used syrup (which is denser than water) and obviously sank.

I was making a 107.6 in his class. I know I'm a :dork2:

Certainly there is some relationship between using water for weight and wearing mask on forehead .............

tball11.jpg

I think you're right. It's my understanding James Bond would put his mask on his head as a sign of distress....

a secret signal to "Q" that he left his "water belt" back on the boat.

I'm sorry you guys, I just can't seem to stop. Physics humor is just too darn fun. :rofl3:

I'm going to get myself banned...

Don't forget Tungsten at 19.25 g/cm3

Also DU might be a viable alternative.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom