Water - Appetite Suppresant??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too much of any good thing can be toxic, but to drink too much water it would almost have to be running out of your ears!!

I have to comment on the tea thing- I'm a southerner- I grew up drinking syrupy sweet iced tea. A couple of years ago I went donw to Miami to visit a friend (who is British), and after driving all night, I was exhausted, and we had some plans for the day. She looked at me and said "I'll make us a nice cup of tea, and it'll fix you right up!" I looked at her rather dubiously but drank the tea. After a week I found I loved the stuff- even put milk in it now! I also found I love crumpets, scones, and clotted cream, must be my Scots/Irish and English genes asserting themselves!

Now i know i miss some of the English food that i used to have whilst back there - stop!!!

A couple of comments on this. Yes drinking lots of water can be an appetite suppressant because it keeps your stomach full. When dieting this can be a double edged sword. It makes it easier to lose weight but your stomach doesn't ever shrink because you are keeping it full of water. This is the kind of thing that leads to Yo-Yo dieting. You loose your desired weight, stop the diet and water and are suddenly very hungry again and the weight comes back.

Second water and exercise can kill. For your average person this is not a grave concern but with long exercise drinking only water leads to a condition known as hyponatremia. As you sweat out the salt, your body strives to keep the correct balance in your tissues. All the water dillutes this balance so it is drawn out of the tissue into nasty places like the lungs. Running a marathon on nothing but water has a pretty good chance of either killing you or leaving you with a lifelong disability. Whenever excercising you should use sports drinks which balance the electolytes to prevent this sort of thing.

Water is definatly a good thing, and as has been said, many people do not get enough of it, but drinking too much can be worse.

James

The condition of Overhydration, or water intoxication is called hyponatremia.

Here are a few writes on it:
http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/toomuchwater.htm
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/hydration/a/aa051200.htm

In a post in the fitness challenge thread I posted my menu for today. There is a lot of water in it, however the water is mixed with foods - just something to think about. :)

Incidentally, I've assisted people who complain of headaches after a dive by giving them a big cup of, can you guess..... WATER! They were simply dehydrated.

Most people will benefit from 10 8 oz. cups of water per day. However, if you drink liquids wtih caffine in them, such as coffee, tea, some sodas, you will need to compensate additionally for their diuretic effects. So, you will need to drink equal amounts of water and tea/coffee and THEN ADD the 10 cups per day on top of that.
This will help with body fat loss, cravings, etc... in addition to the right food choices in the right portion sizes at the right times.
Hope this helps!
Lucky :10:

Here is a little arguement that the wife and I have been having. The Atkins diet said that you should drink 64 oz of H2O a day. I drink a lot of seltzer water. I say that the seltzer water counts against the 64 oz. of H2O. She disagrees. (we gave up the Atkins diet btw)

Looking at the Nutrition Facts, seltzer has 0 of the following; Calories,fat, sodium, carbs, surgars and protein. "Contains carbonated water."

Does anyone have a professional opionion?

benncool:
Looking at the Nutrition Facts, seltzer has 0 of the following; Calories,fat, sodium, carbs, surgars and protein. "Contains carbonated water."

Does anyone have a professional opionion?
It's water, no problem. However if you start doing those diet carbonated waters that are full of sodium then your wife would be correct.

Right after air water is essential. So, drink till the pee is clear to light amber. Keep it that way.

When starting to drink more people may find an increased need to urinate. I think that is just flushing out the nasties in the body. Once that is done then it is back to the same toilet frequency as before.

In addition to the things already posted; take a look at your veins. Are they easy to find? Could an ambulance crew get an IV in you easily and quickly? A person can turn "difficult" veins into Easy veins merely by drinking enough water. Easy veins could save your life in an accident or medical emergency.

Just another motivation for drinking enough.

Back
Top Bottom