Water - Appetite Suppresant??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just thought i would post this and see if anyone else had heard the same thing.

A While back i remember reading about the eating habits of the average person these days and the fact that many people are very dehydrated without noticing it. It seems that some people confuse this thirst for hunger and get on eating, when what they really should be doing is drinking. I cant recall how much water the average person should drink per day, but i personally drink about 2 pints and have found that i can now much more easily run from breakfast through to lunch and then through to dinner without feeling hungry in between (my GF does often mention that 5 mini-meals is better than 3 square meals - another thread).

Does anyone else know anything about this and has anyone else found that they are less hungry due to drinking a little more water each day rather than immeadiately running for the meal/snacks?

You are correct, most people consume far too few fluids throughout the day. I drink A LOT of water- 32 ounces at work, and another 32 during my afternoon workout. That's just water- I also consume a lot tea and at least one Diet Coke a day.

Both tea and water seem to work for a lot of people, as far as supressing appetite. At work, I'll have my dependable water bottle, and if I feel a bit hungry, I'll drink some more, and it works for me.

Chickdiver: Confusion? Correct in theory of dehydration - too many fluids?

At least another pint in workouts as well, sometimes more.

However, i would think the fact that we are told to drink plenty in OW training might also give divers a pre-determined advantage over average joe who doesnt drink enough. I am not sure if people do drink enough when they dive or do other exercise though. I certainly know on hot days when my GF and i have gone to theme parks etc that we get really dehydrated through the day even though we drink a few pints of water each - really can play a large role down here in FL when you have the sun out! Just remember to add if you are out in the sun through the day. I think out safety person at work suggests that site workers drink something like 4oz every 15 mins - that is a whole lot of water, sipping not gulping.

BTW, i thought this kind of info would be good to know for people who are trying to cut down on their daily food intake to lose weight. There seem to be quite a few in other threads saying they eat too much and i am wondering if this kind of rehydration could be part of an answer for them.

too many, too few, its an easy mistake when they are both very common phrases and if your mind does a little wandering like mine does everyday(!!), just didnt want to give the wrong message to others. I am glad however that others also agree on this action and put it into affect.

I'm always told I should drink more water (esp. as I have problems with my kidneys). But I can't stand the stuff so I drink a lot of cordials.

But I do agree, I only drink tea now (no hot chocolate anymore) - and I do find it helps to surpress my urge to go to the news agents and buy a box of chocolates. I think I need to go make myself a cuppa!!!

My Mum, when i go back to the UK, is constantly trying to get me to drink tea!! I cant really be bothered with tea, i see all of my officemates hovering around the coffee machine every morning - looking ready to kill someone while they wait for it to brew. I just santer past to the water cooler and fill up!

Talking of which i must drink so more water now before i go home and then some more as i go out to the gym.

I have to have a cup of tea when I get up or I'll be moody for the rest of the day!!! Helps me wake up and means I don't have to waste time having breakfast!!!

I can't believe your still at work - I'm thinking about going to bed!

I am at least 5 hours behind you, its late in the work day now, but those on the west coast have at least another 2 hours to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom