Watch suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unit240

Reaction score
I am looking for a new dive watch. To help with what I am looking for, I want a watch, not another computer. It will serve as my backup, and to wear at work. I have a Seiko, but had to have the battery replaced and it did not get sealed properly and pressure tested. I have had 2 of the "Seal" watches, both went bad (fogged) at the one year mark and neither had been below 110'. I am considering a St. Moritz or OMS. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for a Tag, Rolex or Omega. Thanks

Walmart sells Casios for about $25 - 30. They are rated at 50 - 100 m and are therefore not recommended for SCUBA. Watches used to be recommended for SCUBA if they were rated for 100 m. I've used my 50 m Casio beyond the recommended limits for sport divers with no ill effects. I recently had to purchase a new watch, but that's because I smashed the old one. I always replace the band with a velcro band. You won't lose the watch if you lose one pin.

Citizen Eco-Drive Divers
rated 200M analouge Depth gauge
BJ2060-58E
Great watch

watch.jpg

I have 12 Seiko watches, all are capable of diving, but 11 of them are classified as 'divers'...Yes, I am a 'Seikoaholic' but I have a great deal of experience with these watches...If you have a watch that needs a battery, it is a quartz...You can get a Seiko 'automatic' (no batteries required, it is self-winding) for about $100...It will last for 20 years...These watches are among the most durable, best-built 'mechanical watches you will ever find...Try a Google search for a Seiko SKX007K (or 009K) and you will see what I am talking about...I also have a Seiko 300M Professional that REALLY epitomizes what dive watches can be...Many on this forum will reccomend others (such as Citizen-they are fine watches) but I am partial to Seikos...For more information, try a Google search for my favorite watch forum, Seiko & Citizen forum...A good place to get up-to-date, first-class information from a great bunch of watch enthusiasts...Whatever you get, dont forget to put it on a Waterborne strap!! :D

.........I find them on the reef, not as often, but I do find them. They may "last for 20 years," but you may not be the one who has it the entire 20.

I agree with Walter. However, a Casio 200M watch will give you everything you need. And, it's cheaper than those other watches. A lot cheaper, so when you lose it, you won't get so ticked off at yourself.

I know you want one to wear during the day but...

How about the uwatec dive timer. Around $100. This gives you dive time, depth, max depth, temperature and ascent rate. This is useful information if your computer pack up. You would make a bit of a "statement" wearing it to the office :wink:

Might I suggest the above - about $65, velcro strap, good to 200M, easy to read - and very sturdy....

My wife bought me a nice Tag Heuer dive watch but I still use my Casio G-Shock. I have had it for years and it never fails. The first one lasted 14 years before I couldn't put a band on it anymore. Now it sits on my dresser at home but it still works and it's only on it's 2nd battery.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom