Watch or computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent the first year or two diving with just a watch. It is a great way to go, as long as you remember to start the watch when you submerse! The watch really forces you to learn to use the tables, and can be had for only $60! That said, I really love my Suunto Viper & DiveRite Duo wrist mount computers.

I have been looking around in the stores. The Casio G-shock and the Suunto Mosquito seem quite good and they don't look huge on my thin wrist.

Hi All!
I'm new to this forum and to scuba diving.
I cannot decide whether I should buy a diving watch or a computer. I'm not an experienced diver so probably a basic diving watch should be ok for me? Or not?
Please, help...

IMO a computer hands down.

It's important to understand how to use the tables, however a computer uses the tables in a way that is not possible by divers, well, maybe we have RainMan out there.. but...

IOW's the computer knows your depth, and is calculating your NDL based on your depth, and profile rather than your PLANNED depth. A big problem with attempting to plan a dive is that unless the profile is flat, its difficult to predict exactly what is going to occur UW, and develop a plan that will take into account exactly how much time one spends at any given depth. The computer takes care of that problem by constantly adjusting the NDL not based on a plan, but based on the dive.

IMO a good dive watch makes a great BT, or depth gauge, but that is about it. Most don't monitor ascent rates, and none that I'm aware of monitor, and report NDL.

There are a number of computers out there that are watch sized if you want a small form factor. Every computer can act as a watch, so if you get a computer, you get both, but maybe not in a watch sized product.

I just replaced my Citizen Aqualand watch with an Aeris Epic computer, and now I have two computers. As I dive my computer, I like a backup.

If you tend to do a lot of flat profile dives, a watch maybe a good starting point. However if you are doing multi-level profiles, and especially if you buddies all have computers, than you are going to want a computer. A basic computer runs under $200, but IMO get one that can handle Nitrox if you have any thoughts of getting Nitrox certified.

Thanks for that!
I've been diving using tables and a swatch and different buddies (who all had computers) kept correcting me. Now, I understand why...
Is Suunto Mosquito reliable?
PS: I got basic EAN two months ago. The mosquito supports nitrox- but is it a reasonably good choice?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom