Watch or computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deppie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All!
I'm new to this forum and to scuba diving.
I cannot decide whether I should buy a diving watch or a computer. I'm not an experienced diver so probably a basic diving watch should be ok for me? Or not?
Please, help...

Hate to say it, that is like asking which is the best BCD....no one can agree on that one.

I use a computer for a couple of reasons. The memory stores the dives in detail, does the math for me, and gives me a good readout on surfacing speed.

It is always a good idea to keep the tables fresh in your mind, but a computer is very useful in my thoughts.

Good luck on your decision. But if you do get a computer, be sure to get one that you can change the batteries in yourself.....AND DO IT IN THE STORE ONE TIME TO SEE HOW HARD OR EASY IT IS !!!

IMCO both and I mean it.
I got my Suunto Vyper twice (!) failing to report right depth probably because sand jammed the pressure sensor, so I was depended on my buddy's DC. Since then I dive with Vyper and G-Shock Mudman which holds up to 20 ATM. 30-40 USD is an affordable addition to your safety, indeed.

Why not both? You can get a Mares Nemo which is a wrist computer and a watch all-in-one, plus it looks cool on the beach.

Make a pot of coffee. Up at the top of this page is a control bar. (It's the blue bar right beneath where it says "Welcome, deppie".)

Fourth item over from the right is "Search". Click on that, then click on Advanced Search.

Then type in "computer" and "bottom timer" and hit 'enter'.

There should be enough threads there debating which is better, and of each, which is better, etc. to keep you reading long after the pot of coffee is gone.

:wink:

Lots to ponder. Good luck, and welcome to ScubaBoard.

Doc

As Doc says, this has been debated many times. However, the basic question is almost never asked nor answered. First, what is your budget? If budget is not a roadblock, then search away and soon you will discover most will recommend both. However, if you have significant budget constraints, buy a cheap waterproof watch and learn your tables. Somewhere in between? (like most), get a good computer, easy to read and understand and a quality dive watch.

I ended up with this setup ProPlus2 (no compass) and Citizen Aqualand watch.

Dave

I went with an Oceanic Geo. Here are a few things to keep in mind.

Like everyone else said its what you want. I had price in mind for me, so I went with a computer that is not air intergrated and is a regular watch as well as my computer. There are sunnto's that are really good also that look like regular watches.

You also want to think about what time of diving you are going to be doing. Do you want something for multiple gasses. Proably not seeing how you just started diving. I would suggest Air and Nitrox. Lots of watches do both. Also, how big do you want it? I know that is kinda odd, but some people have a hard time seeing the smaller ones underwater. Do you want to wear it all the time, then you might want to go smaller or what not.

Also, like Rich said, make sure you can change the battery and try it in the store. I lost the key to change my battery, but lucking the dive shop showed me how the change it without using the key... Very helpful.

A watch is not air intergrated will hold all your dives and you can buy the adapter to download them to your computer (unless you are a MAC user, then there is a little tinkering that has to be done). Air intergration is awesome, but I have seen a lot of times when a buddy of mine cmoputer will lose connection and then he has to use his convetional gauge or abort his dive. Whats the point in spending 1300 or more when it doesnt always work? That is my take on it.

Like the other guys said this can be debated all day with what to do. I prefer my Geo, some people prefer other things. Just like every other diving equipment to get, try it on and look on her for a speific name and search around. Hope this helps

Atom 2 and Geo is your answer because it's can use both watch & dive comp.

Hmmm... I have to look around in the stores- but, yes, you 've helped a lot. At least now I have few ideas of what I should look for.
Thanks a lot, all of you.

I use the Citizen Cyber Aqualand NX. It is sized as a large watch, does a complete temp/depth history of 100 dives up to 2 hours in length and does nitrox as well as air.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom