Watch battery change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deep_ocean

Reaction score
I'm just a rec diver. Don't own a computer and so far I'd used my Timex Triathlon watch (good for up to 100m) for diving. It's been down to 110 f with no problems. Recently I had a battery changed in it and when I went diving about 4-5 months later it leaked at about 90 f. I wasn't using any buttons, just had it strapped to my gauges, as I always do.

Could it be because the battery wasn't changed properly?

I'm not really concerned with the watch itself, which is dead. It was 5 years old and was under $50. Just wanna know, whether in the future, I should have my battery changed in a particular place...

Thanks in advance.

PS Any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive watch that can be worn every day and will work for diving?

My bet is that the o ring wasn't in place correctly. I've noticed on my Casio watch that it has a weird shaped O ring that is difficult to position correctly.

Anytime you play with an O-ring you introduce the possibility of pinching it, nicking it, or having a small piece of debris left across it to form a leak path.

Your local corner jewler may or may not even relube the o-ring with a light coating of silicone grease.

You may want to do it yourself next time.

I use a combo analog/digital 100M watch from Casio -- suitable for everyday wear as it doesn't have the chunky "sports watch" look of the Timex Ironman series.

In the fine print of the rarely read watch manuals Casio says that 100M rating means that it is good for swimming and snorkeling, but not diving. I ignore that and take my $25 watch diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom