Was there another at Gilboa Quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't want to start rumors, I don't know if there was an accident today at Gilboa but have reason to believe there may have been, I got there in the afternoon, was anyone there earlier or know anything?

I was at Gilboa Quarry today, and heard a staff member there say softly to another "He's in the chamber now?" I said something about that to my buddy, and he said he thought he had overheard talk of another accident there today. Has anyone heard anything or know if there is any truth to this?

We were there from 9 to 4:30. Didn't see any ambulances. Certainly the decision to seek treatment could've been after they left. I've dove there only 3 weekend days. It certainly is a busy diving place, so someone exceeding their decompression limit can and will happen. We were told that about 3 weeks ago that a free flowing regulator cause a diver to have DCS while surfacing rapidly.

What bothers me more is how quickly visibility can drop from 20 plus feet to less than 3 ft within 5 ft of the bottom. All it takes is one diver hovering in the muck, or a new OW diver group going through and the place is a mess. The vis is always great until about 11, when the OW groups finished their skills on their first dive on the platform. Then they do their "tour", and the whole place becomes an axiety causing mud storm.

Then they do their "tour", and the whole place becomes an axiety causing mud storm.

With freshwater "piranha" lurking in the background. :D

I believe it was the weekend before- on the 24th or 25th of May. I was not there but I talked with someone who was. Uncontrolled ascent- rumor was that it was from over by the tubes, but the witnessed commotion was in 20-25 ft of water. Unless there was another one...

Speaking out of ignorance here.

Back
Top Bottom