Was Ist Das?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need help from NWG or the Pug on this one:
p5210029large4ky.jpg

Thanks guys :cheers:

DeepDog:
I need help from NWG or the Pug on this one:

OMG! You found Jimmy Hoffa! :1poke:
Seen a few of those around Baranof Island...wierd lookin' How deep was it?

H2Andy:
Dast ist nein ein Tunichate! das ist ein Berliner
Das ist nicht ein tunicate! --- Sheesh! :eyebrow:

Das ist das Deustches Akademia das Underseawateranimalsten

A Berliner is a jelly donut. Do they have those in Puget sound?

Holy beer steins Batman, I think I’ve started a German SCUBA thread!

Das ist toll! Dieses ist meine unterwasserthread.

Maybe it’s time to change my avatar word back from cheers to prosit. :D

U.P., thanks for the link. I couldn’t find any photos of that particular tunicate anywhere for specifics because I was focusing on northwest species. But from your link, it is clearly Ciona Savignyi, and it’s a long ways from home.

CUCionamuss.JPG

This is one of the many invasive tunicates moving in through the port; in this case from Japan. The one in my above photo is busy taking down a small sea pen to grow itself and give birth to many more little Japanese tunicate tadpoles (larva). I don’t suppose they make good sushi?

Alki junkyard may now be added to the four prior known locations of Ciona savignyi listed on that website. Ok, its native Japan is still probably on the list.

BTW Poogweese, this one was at about 65 to 70 feet.

We have those up here (Victoria) too. - Usually down deep in Saanich Inlet. They're usually solitary and I think they're a local species. There was a campaign awhile back to inform divers about another invasive tunicate (looked sort of like yellow spongy jelly). The problem is, there are a few common local species that look exactly the same and you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you took a sample to a lab. I hope some well-meaning diver doesn't start scraping them off the local walls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom