Warranty/Free Parts for Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first suspicion is that "Venskj" is affiliated with the LDS and is astroturfing. Scummy if true.

I had the same thoughts. I have so do others....

I have to admit, when I buy locally, train locally and get my equipment serviced locally, I don't seem to have my expectations missed. I take that back. My expectations are either met or exceeded. I'll stack that up against any internet price differential.

Yet his only other post is where he's saying he doesn't want to train locally. go figure. :popcorn:

thread started by him asking http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/so...cuba-training-san-diego-area.html#post5886405

I was going to avoid this thread since it was in the Aqualung forum but now that it's been moved to Regulators it's pretty clear that it's open season.

My first suspicion is that "Venskj" is affiliated with the LDS and is astroturfing. Scummy if true.

My second is people should start understaing that these "free for life" programs are crap. I googled AL's website and the description of the agreement as "three party" is just lame. Their additional requirement that regulators with more then 50 dives a year need annual rebuilds and free parts every other year is further junk.

Just realize that all these agreeements are designed to do is to "keep you in the fold" and visiting the authorized dealers where they can then fleece you.

The regulator I dive doesn't play that game. They just make a great product at a great price and make it easy to obtain the parts and training so that you can do it yourself and not play this game.

It's still in the aqualung forum and it seem like you are trolling.
Also if you took that regulator training course why was your IP off after you work on it.
It's not a crap program and this is what it says.

Free Parts for Life Program (Regulator Service Agreement)
The Free Parts for Life Program allows the customer to receive free parts when the regulator is due for overhaul. Free parts consist of the normal replacement items as found in the Regulator 1st & 2nd Stage Service Kits. Labor charges are not covered. Assuming the program guidelines are followed, the Free Parts for Life Program will apply to the life of the regulator and will significantly reduce the cost of ownership. This program is in addition to the standard product warranties outlined in the owner’s manual.

The Free Parts for Life Program is a commitment by you (the Regulator owner), your Aqua Lung Dealer and Aqua Lung. To participate, you must be the original owner and have purchased the regulator from an Authorized Aqua Lung or Apeks America Dealer. The regulator must be brought to an Authorized Dealer at least once a year for inspection or overhaul according to the below schedule:

Year #1: Inspection
Year #2: Overhaul
Year #3: Inspection
Year #4: Overhaul
Etc.

And in the end her issue was fixed.

And one more thing what have you done for scuba?

And one more thing what have you done for scuba?

is that like what have you done for the environment or what have you done for your country? what would be a good answer? "i helped milk 7 cash cows and silt up a local dive site for 2 hours with 8 ow students who don't really need to learn any buoyancy skills yet."

how about "i helped another diver learn to service his own regulators so he can spend that money directly on enjoyable diving rather that paying for unnecessary gear servicing."

Well. I guess I opened a hornets nest by speaking my mind. 'sorry. I know I came off as sarcastic. It's my nature. I'm not shilling for anyone. I'm not a professional diver/instructor either. BTW, I will also admit that I "assumed" an internet purchase. That just seems to be the norm now days. I carry the same attitudes about purchasing anything. I like to buy locally if possible and when prices aren't substantially different. It helps local merchants. It helps the local economy. Plus, if it is someone I trust, I use them for service and whatever as well. I do that for clothes, tools, firearms, scuba, farm supplies, etc. Over that years, I've found that to be the most reliable way for me to do business without hiccups. When I have a good relationship with a local retailer, it also seems a lot easier to find a remedy when hiccups occur. You all may disagree or have had other experiences. That's fine.

I also caution everyone, myself included, to jumping to a conclusion based on postings on ScubaBoard for complaint postings -- I guess any postings for that matter. Weezieharris posting their side of the story. Automatically, that seems to make the LDS evil. I'm not saying Weezieharris is misrepresenting anything, I'm just saying we're seeing the issue through their eyes. I'm familiar with the LDS in question which caused me to question whether there might be more to the story. I just know how I and friends of mine have been treated over the years. I guess I got defensive. I also noticed that Weezieharris and I are the only ones local to the LDS in question and have had first hand experience with it. Although this doesn't invalidate everybody else's responses, it does handicap objectivity somewhat.

Lastly, I do train locally. If I posted on ScubaBoard about training elsewhere; I did (although I can't find the posting). I travel in my job. If I happen to be traveling to where its a pretty cool place to dive, I'll dive. If they happen to have some training that I want to take; I take it. In each of those locations I go back to the same dive shop. I guess you could say I try to find a shop to use as my LDS when I'm there. Once again, I'm setting up a longer term relationship with an LDS rather than going someplace new each time. I think many of us do that when returning to our favorite "travel to" dive sites and had a good experience with a dive shop there.

So, that's it. I'm sure I convinced no one, but I at least wanted to let you all know where I'm coming from.

Well. I guess I opened a hornets nest by speaking my mind. 'sorry. I know I came off as sarcastic. It's my nature. I'm not shilling for anyone. I'm not a professional diver/instructor either. BTW, I will also admit that I "assumed" an internet purchase. That just seems to be the norm now days. I carry the same attitudes about purchasing anything. I like to buy locally if possible and when prices aren't substantially different. It helps local merchants. It helps the local economy. Plus, if it is someone I trust, I use them for service and whatever as well. I do that for clothes, tools, firearms, scuba, farm supplies, etc. Over that years, I've found that to be the most reliable way for me to do business without hiccups. When I have a good relationship with a local retailer, it also seems a lot easier to find a remedy when hiccups occur. You all may disagree or have had other experiences. That's fine.

I also caution everyone, myself included, to jumping to a conclusion based on postings on ScubaBoard for complaint postings -- I guess any postings for that matter. Weezieharris posting their side of the story. Automatically, that seems to make the LDS evil. I'm not saying Weezieharris is misrepresenting anything, I'm just saying we're seeing the issue through their eyes. I'm familiar with the LDS in question which caused me to question whether there might be more to the story. I just know how I and friends of mine have been treated over the years. I guess I got defensive. I also noticed that Weezieharris and I are the only ones local to the LDS in question and have had first hand experience with it. Although this doesn't invalidate everybody else's responses, it does handicap objectivity somewhat.

Lastly, I do train locally. If I posted on ScubaBoard about training elsewhere; I did (although I can't find the posting). I travel in my job. If I happen to be traveling to where its a pretty cool place to dive, I'll dive. If they happen to have some training that I want to take; I take it. In each of those locations I go back to the same dive shop. I guess you could say I try to find a shop to use as my LDS when I'm there. Once again, I'm setting up a longer term relationship with an LDS rather than going someplace new each time. I think many of us do that when returning to our favorite "travel to" dive sites and had a good experience with a dive shop there.

So, that's it. I'm sure I convinced no one, but I at least wanted to let you all know where I'm coming from.

the problem with your original post was not the assumption of an internet purchase or your support for buying from local dealers. the problem was the fairly clear implication that consumers who make internet purchases and fail to support local businesses somehow deserve to be punished.

I am fortunate enough to have Scuba Toys as my LDS. My Aeris ION has the same lifetime parts program. This may be standard everywhere but when you pick up your stuff from annuals service there is a detailed report of everything that was done and the test measurements. You don't get to keep them but the replaced parts are in the box to see. I really like seeing what wears in the system. I am also a coward and have them change the computer battery every year at the same time.

The parts warranty was one of the factors that led me to pick the Aeris ION.

I recently found out that even with free parts its not free to keep up the reg sets, it cost a fair amount for labor, which I do not expect to be free. But, to a new diver buying gear for the first time (when I bought it) unless you really know whats going down you think free parts how much can it cost....

I was going to avoid this thread since it was in the Aqualung forum but now that it's been moved to Regulators it's pretty clear that it's open season.

My second is people should start understaing that these "free for life" programs are crap. I googled AL's website and the description of the agreement as "three party" is just lame. Their additional requirement that regulators with more then 50 dives a year need annual rebuilds and free parts every other year is further junk.

Just realize that all these agreeements are designed to do is to "keep you in the fold" and visiting the authorized dealers where they can then fleece you.

The regulator I dive doesn't play that game. They just make a great product at a great price and make it easy to obtain the parts and training so that you can do it yourself and not play this game.

the problem with your original post was not the assumption of an internet purchase or your support for buying from local dealers. the problem was the fairly clear implication that consumers who make internet purchases and fail to support local businesses somehow deserve to be punished.

I think you're putting words in my mouth. I never used the word "punish" or anything like that. I implied that people that make internet purchases can sometimes have a more difficult time that working with a local dive shop. I guess we just disagree. I can live with that.

mike-s, I think I'll pass on internet surgery. I work with computers and the internet for a living. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom