WARNING!!! Rant to follow!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At what point do divers stop relying on DM's to babysit for them when they dive? I have recently experienced and read on this board AOW and Master divers who in my humble opinion couldn't pass BOW skills. I have no problem helping new people or folks who haven't been underwater in a while but PUH- LEEZ!
I just went with 3 AOW divers and 2 Master divers who by the way were unfamiliar with each other. How many bothered to check out the others equipment? NONE! How many checked their tanks prior to entering water? 2! How many forgot to put on weight belt before entering water? 2! I solved these problems before they affected the dives but I'm getting tired of being the only responsible one. Thankfully, none of these people were from my club. I just wish people would stop assuming that they can be lax in their dive prep and dive plans.

Ahhhh... I feel much better:) Thanks.

Scott

So, Scott, are you having a bad day, son? You need to relax. You are way to uptight! I have a couple of suggestions.

1) Go diving! Just think of the relaxing feeling you will have when you submerge beneath the surface and hear nothing but your bubbles.
2) Have you ever heard the term solo diving? :)

My buddy Smedley and I got to sneak away for a diving day with ZERO, none, zip, nada students or straphangers a couple weeks ago. It was divine!
Highly recommended.
Rick :)

Well Damn,

I typed up a darn good comment for ya Scott, and it was eaten by the computer monster. :fire:

My second attempt will be abbreviated.
I made the mistake of forgetting my weight belt on my 3rd open water certification dive. I goofed. I was embarrassed. I learned my lesson.

You can take your frustration out on me.... I deserve it! :boxing:

You were all forwarned that this was going to be a rant. I feel much better having vented and no, I would never take it out on a new diver especially on their check out dive:) I love to help to new people; Actually that the main reason I became a DM. I'm just tired of hearing about and witnessing personally people's inherent belief in the "all knowing/will save my butt" DM. For the love God make people try to be self suffient:scream: Ahhh.. now I feel even better than I did before. As for the idea of solo diving, sort of bad example to set for the newer divers I'm around CONSTANTLY:)

Scott

decapoddiver....I hear your rant and know what you mean!

I'm a DM because I enjoy helping new divers discover the sport. And I gladly mentor new divers that really want to continue learning to dive after their cert dives. But there are times... :rolleyes: when Beast and I don't tell anyone where we are going so we can just dive for fun.

It's the same on dive trips. I'm there for fun, not to babysit or help DM the boat.

It's nice to leave that DM hat at home occasionally!

But if divers were taught to be self sufficient wouldn't that require more pool time? more skills? wouldn't this get in the way of cranking 'em out as fast as possible?

You can't be responsible for evey one out there, diving or doing anything else for that matter.

Choose you dive partners carefully and expect to be surprised when you don't. What can you do?

Ari :)

Originally posted by Walter
But if divers were taught to be self sufficient wouldn't that require more pool time? more skills? wouldn't this get in the way of cranking 'em out as fast as possible?

Gee Walter, I think you may be right! What a novel idea. Have you mentioned this to anyone? ;^)

I am a newbie and I like having the "after dive" critique. We just did 3 more dives this weekend (my first since OW cert) and I feel much more compentent in my skills. I am definitely trying to be self-sufficient though. I absolutely refused to have the DM come out and get me while I was doing a VERY LONG surface swim against the current after our dive yesterday.

I appreciate hearing the opinion of the DMs out there. Though I hope you don't mind me asking continual questions to find out that valuable information you all have :)

Back
Top Bottom